What are the differences between the four OC200 Hardware Version Numbers?

2024-03-05 12:08:08 - last edited 2024-03-06 03:24:25
Tags: #Hardware Versions
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: OC200(UN)_V1_1.26.3 Build 20230906

I will start by answering part of my question.  The differences between hardware versions v1.x  and v2.x are due to the global chipset shortage between 2020-2023 where many manufacturers had to find alternative chipsets to continue manufacturing their products.

But what is the difference between hardware versions x.0 and x.6?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:What are the differences between the four OC200 Hardware Version Numbers?-Solution
2024-03-06 03:24:02 - last edited 2024-03-06 03:24:25

Hi @Randy_B 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Go to the router page and take a look at this.

My former associate Hank did not copy this to the controller page. But it is the common sense in our products.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:What are the differences between the four OC200 Hardware Version Numbers?-Solution
2024-03-06 03:24:02 - last edited 2024-03-06 03:24:25

Hi @Randy_B 

Go to the router page and take a look at this.

My former associate Hank did not copy this to the controller page. But it is the common sense in our products.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:What are the differences between the four OC200 Hardware Version Numbers?
2024-03-06 18:57:52

@Randy_B 

My original question may not have been clear enough. I had hoped my example acknowledging the differences between 1.x and 2.x hardware versions informed others that I am asking about the technical differences in features and function between the two versions.  When I worked in a Cisco environment, I had little difficulty finding answers to these types of questions on their support website.

To put my original question another way...

Was the hardware version x.0 to x.6 a response to finding an alternative to the alternative chipset during the same chip shortage between 2020 and 2023, so that existing features and functionality remained unaffected? OR, is there upgraded features and functionality between x.0 and x.6?

The bottom line is this. I bought a OC200, and the vendor shipped me a v1.0 device.  Should I send it back and look for a vendor that can send me a v1.6 or 2.6 device?  And how would I benefit going from x.0 to x.6 on the OC200 specifically?

Options
2024-03-07 06:57:23

Hi @Randy_B 

I am not sure if my description is not clear or strong to you. It was answered in the post by the word "identical" and with an example of "X.6 and X.0".

If you find it hard to understand, you may point it out and I will find time to improve the obscure parts with extra explanation.

You are correct about V1 and V2 differences. But they perform the same.

If you have a link to how Cisco explains this, I would appreciate it and am willing to learn from their docs.

Options
2024-03-07 14:25:07

@Clive_A 

Your link stated generally,(which is helpful)

"Our products may have different hardware version identifiers due to varying production locations. "

However, my question was specific. In my opinion, the Knowledge Base Article does not need revision because it addresses all products. I do appreciate and respect your willingness to improve the documentation. It would have been more helpful in your response to quote that line (reference the article) and add a comment that states that the differences between the OC200 hardware versions x.0 and x.6 is specifically due to different production locations with no board-level revisions.

This might be helpful for background. The OC200 I bought in 2018 is bricked, (I know how to fix it), but I purchased a new OC200 from Amazon expecting a hardware revision of 2.6 to have the latest and greatest. I was quite surprised when the product I received is version 1.0. When I contacted the seller about the version differences, they only offered to refund my money.  I am currently drafting an Amazon review about my eventual decision to either keep the v1.0 product, or that I am returning it because it is a v1.0 product.

I found the reason for the differences between v1.x and v2.x and that much is in my draft of the review.  However, I don't have a definitive answer for the differences between v x.0 and v x.6.  If the only difference is manufacturing location, I will give the product and seller a five-star review, otherwise, it will be a one-star review against the seller for having old inventory and five-stars for the Omada product line.

Regarding my comments about Cisco, Field Notices were helpful documents.  If there is a v x.7 hardware revision, a Field Notice could be as simple as stating that products will be manufactured at a new location with no changes to features and functionality.

I hope this is more helpful.

Options
2024-03-08 01:14:06

Hi @Randy_B 

Randy_B wrote

@Clive_A 

Your link stated generally,(which is helpful)

"Our products may have different hardware version identifiers due to varying production locations. "

However, my question was specific. In my opinion, the Knowledge Base Article does not need revision because it addresses all products. I do appreciate and respect your willingness to improve the documentation. It would have been more helpful in your response to quote that line (reference the article) and add a comment that states that the differences between the OC200 hardware versions x.0 and x.6 is specifically due to different production locations with no board-level revisions.

This might be helpful for background. The OC200 I bought in 2018 is bricked, (I know how to fix it), but I purchased a new OC200 from Amazon expecting a hardware revision of 2.6 to have the latest and greatest. I was quite surprised when the product I received is version 1.0. When I contacted the seller about the version differences, they only offered to refund my money.  I am currently drafting an Amazon review about my eventual decision to either keep the v1.0 product, or that I am returning it because it is a v1.0 product.

I found the reason for the differences between v1.x and v2.x and that much is in my draft of the review.  However, I don't have a definitive answer for the differences between v x.0 and v x.6.  If the only difference is manufacturing location, I will give the product and seller a five-star review, otherwise, it will be a one-star review against the seller for having old inventory and five-stars for the Omada product line.

Regarding my comments about Cisco, Field Notices were helpful documents.  If there is a v x.7 hardware revision, a Field Notice could be as simple as stating that products will be manufactured at a new location with no changes to features and functionality.

I hope this is more helpful.

Is it Amazon.com your seller or it is a third-party one? Sold by.

We don't control the stock in third-party sellers. Our local company, the TP-Link US/CA/UK/DE or whatsoever, takes care of the amazon.com stock. Which means that's an official source and we can control the availability of the new versions. Anyone else is not in our control and we don't recycle what's been sold to the retailers and they may still keep the old stock of V1.X. Well, now the latest version is 2.X. That's unfortunate and you may ask the retailer to change one for you. (But for your model, V1 and V2 do not have any differences in regard to performance.)

We have many models and cannot list every single one of them. So this guide is a general answer for every model and everyone. Every model's support page also lists something similar to this as a disclaimer to your firmware upgrade.

We now have two fully functional factories at two different locations. And internal news I learned is that we might get a new factory but I don't have too much info on that. That disclaimer might change in the future.

We, so far, don't have a place to put an announcement like that to explain every model's hardware and differences. You may send an email to the support team about this. We don't intend to maintain a list of announcements on the forum as it is not a suitable place for it.

Finally, like what you quote from the article, you already have the answer. There is no difference in VX.0 and VX.6 but they are manufactured in different factories.

I'll review the article and reconsider the word choice.

Options
2024-03-08 11:37:46

@Clive_A Thank you for your response.

I fully expect this seller on Amazon has an inventory of old stock they are still trying to sell.  I won't be returning the device, but I will unbrick the OC200 when I am back home next week to have a service spare on hand.  I have posted a five star review on Amazon, noting that the review reflects fact they devices are functional equivalents, with no hardware version having an advantage over another.  Then there is the identical warranty.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 6

Tags

Hardware Versions
Related Articles