Sending UDP Multicas Audio Not Working as expected

2024-03-05 21:49:04
Tags: #Multicast
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I’m streaming raw audio to a number of devices (ESP32 wifi module based) over a dedicated wifi network using an Archer A6 router. I’m sending the audio to a UDP multicast address from a laptop over Ethernet to the dedicated wifi router.I want all the devices to simultaneously receive the audio stream over wifi.  If  I stream the audio to 3 devices on the wifii network all is good however if after starting the audio stream I disconnect a device or 2 the audio on the remaining device becomes choppy. This happens about 25 seconds after the other devices are removed. It takes about 1 minute 35 seconds for the signal to return to normal on the remaining device.I’m not sure why? Is the router looking for the previously connected devices and using up bandwidth? With multicast I figured the stream would just continue uninterrupted and if a device was out there to listen, it would jump on the stream. I didn't think leaving the stream with one device would affect the  stream going to other devices. Obviously my understanding of how multicast streaming works is flawed. Is there a setting on my router I need to change? Do I need a fancier router? I want all the devices to receive the audio simultaneously so I can’t use something like icecast. If I use Broadcast instead of Multicast removing devices doesn't affect the remaining devices however I get much worse reception when using Broadcast. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Sending UDP Multicas Audio Not Working as expected
2024-03-06 09:35:48

@JimRuxton 

Hi, normally there is no additional settings required on the router.

May I know the hardware and firmware version of your Archer A6 Router? and is there any other access point or extenders in the same network?

Options
2024-03-06 15:06:32

@Sunshine Thanks for the reply.

Firmware Version is 1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38553n(4341)
Hardware Version: Archer A6 4.0

No the router is the only device . No extenders or access points.

Options
2024-03-06 17:46:02

I downloaded the latest firmware Archer A6(CA)_V4_1.13.2 Build 230824  with the same results.

Options
2024-03-07 01:42:10

@JimRuxton 

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 132

Replies: 4

Tags

Multicast
Related Articles