About to m5 two isp's usage

2024-03-16 22:49:43
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20231227 Rel. 53644

Hello. I currently have an e4 deco, connected to one of my isp's. But, due to my work, I need 2 isp's (which I have had for a long time, but reconnecting to one or the other depending on connectivity problems). Both links are low speed (100 and 50 Mbps), but even so, in Argentina they are expensive. The ideal would be to have a single ISP with 300mbits, but I need to have both, due to contingencies, which are common. So first I checked that an m4 or m5 has 2 wan connections. It would seem, a priori, that I can connect my two ISPs there. But, in the forums, they talk about there being no load balancing software. So, what is the function of 2 wan ports (I understand that they are lan/wan, but I am curious to understand). An option that I saw, more businesslike, is to use the er7206, the thing is more or less seen in the url: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/652560 The point is that I find it too complex in terms of configuration. I should find simple hardware (like deco's). What is the forum's opinion on this matter?

Options
4 Reply
Re:About to m5 two isp's usage
2024-03-17 20:21:31
You're looking for a more business orientated solution with load balancing/failover. You might be confusing two network ports as WAN ports, as only one is used for WAN (at least on my M5s, the M4 is no different to my knowledge), the other is for internal (LAN) networking.
Options
2024-03-17 21:28:15

richpriest wrote

You're looking for a more business orientated solution with load balancing/failover. You might be confusing two network ports as WAN ports, as only one is used for WAN (at least on my M5s, the M4 is no different to my knowledge), the other is for internal (LAN) networking.

Hello @richpriest, thanks for answering.

According to the url https://www.tp-link.com/ar/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/#specifications, for the m4, it says "Ethernet ports 2× Gigabit Ports; *Per Deco Unit; Supports WAN /LAN auto-sensing".

For m5, at: https://www.tp-link.com/ar/home-networking/deco/deco-m5/#specifications, it says the same.

That would mean that I can plug my wan into either of the two ports, and on its own, it determines which is the wan connection?.

And what would happen if I plug in the other port, a second isp?

I ask, because, obviously, I don't have this equipment, and I can't test it.

And, in case you have to buy a different device, what would be the "home entry point"?.

That is, I need something very easy to manage as happens with deco's, if possible.

I know about communications (and I have friends to ask, who work specifically in company communications), but if I can achieve it alone and more or less easily, the better.

My conceptual idea is what I include in the drawing I attach. Can you give me some clues?

Thank you!

File:
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-17 at 18.22.56.jpegDownload
Options
2024-04-06 01:12:33

Any can help me?

Thanks

Options
2024-04-06 08:31:03

joluinfante wrote

I need to have both, due to contingencies, which are common.

@joluinfante What are the "common" contingencies???

"WAN/LAN auto-sensing" means if you use one of the ports as a LAN port, the other one will be automatically configured to be a WAN port, and vice versa.

You cannot use both ports as LAN or WAN at the same time.

joluinfante wrote

I find it too complex in terms of configuration

You are asking for a complex setup, so the solution cannot be as simple as buying a deco router.

You've already visited the support page of this topic (How to use Deco with two ISPs?) and it's clearly mentioned there that Deco routers don't support multi-WAN

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 118

Replies: 4

Related Articles