AXE5400 & vodafone Broadband Setup Help

2024-03-18 20:45:48 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:52:40
Model: Archer AXE5400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help. I am based in the UK and have my broadband with Vodafone. I have recently purchased the AXE5400 and trying to set it up, but with no luck.

My ISP (Vodafone) has advised me to setup using PPPoE and sent me a VLAN number of 911 along with a VPI and VCI number.

During setup I am presented with the following ma datory fields:

Internet VLAN ID

Priority

VoIP VLAN ID

Priority

IPTV VLAN ID

Priority

I have tried inputting the VLAN number of 911 in all 3 fields however, all 3 fields must be different and so will not let me proceed.

I have then tried inputting the 911 in just one of the fields, but something needs to be inserted into the other 2 fields otherwise I cannot proceed.

I have also tried adding a random number into the remaining 2 fields and although this will take me a step further and takes me to the main router settings, I still get no Internet.

Can some one please advise where I am going wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AXE5400 & vodafone Broadband Setup Help-Solution
2024-03-18 22:10:20 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:52:40

@Artful_Voyager 

If you have been provided a "VPI and VCI number" which would mean you're using a DSL service from your ISP.

That's probably the reason you don't have a internet service when you finished configuring your wireless router.

You probably need a DSL modem router to use the internet service from your ISP.

To be sure of that contact your ISP and tell them what device you're trying to connect to their network - they should advise you on that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:AXE5400 & vodafone Broadband Setup Help-Solution
2024-03-18 22:10:20 - last edited 2024-04-08 09:52:40

@Artful_Voyager 

If you have been provided a "VPI and VCI number" which would mean you're using a DSL service from your ISP.

That's probably the reason you don't have a internet service when you finished configuring your wireless router.

You probably need a DSL modem router to use the internet service from your ISP.

To be sure of that contact your ISP and tell them what device you're trying to connect to their network - they should advise you on that.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AXE5400 & vodafone Broadband Setup Help
2024-03-19 03:49:41

@Artful_Voyager 

Archer AXE5400 is a wireless router, not a modem, please confirm if you connect it to your ISP modem via Ethernet cable. 

If so, check if your modem has been configured with the PPPoE etc and act as a modem and router, or your modem is in bridge mode.

You could also connect a computer to your ISP modem directly to see if internet works.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-19 09:11:28

@Artful_Voyager 

Thank you both for your replies! I think that has cleared it up for me. It has been a while since I have had to purchase my own router as the ISPs I've used in the last 20+ years have all provided 'Modem Routers' and so in my ignorance, I had assumed all routers were now Modem Routers. :)

You've both been extremely helpful and very knowledgeable. Its a shame that I cant say the same for my ISP as they didn't have a clue.

Much appreciated!

Options
2 weeks ago

Hey, 

I wanted to confirm something if you would be able to help please.

I am in the same situation, but I am on Fibre with a ONT box.

Should the router be able to work being patched directly via the ONT box, I have been supplied PPPoE details and this is not working.

I notice on the settings page it only says LAN settings and no reference to WAN. I am not sure if this is related to my issue

Thanks

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@billyrg8 

Depending on your ONT make an model, it coud be in router mode or bridge mode - which means the wireless router behind it could use Dynamic IP or PPPoE connection.

Best option is to contact your ISP and ask them for further assistance on your issue.

Options
2 weeks ago

Thanks for the information, unfortunately when I speak with the ISP they're are not very helpful. They won't support any questions regarding a new router. 

This is the ONT box in question, it looks like it should be configured with PPPoE details.

CityFibre ONT - Calix 801G

ONT Settings

CityFibre FTTP

Customer router requirement: Typically you'll need an Ethernet router can than do PPPoE on a specified VLAN, it will then plug in to that will be installed by CityFibre.

Setting   Description
VLAN 911 VLAN is required
Login As advised We allocate a login for one or more lines. This is of the form of a name followed by @, a realm, a dot then a single digit number. (e.g. test@a.1). The final number is the line number (e.g. 1, 2, etc.) for where customers have multiple lines sharing IP addresses.
Password As advised We allocate a password, but you can change this on the Broadband Control Pages. If you change the password on our system your lines will go off line until you change the password on the router as well. If your router cannot handle the length of password we provide, please contact support who will be happy to set a shorter password.
WAN IP (local) 0.0.0.0 Whilst we allocate a fixed IP address for your service, including the WAN address, it is best not to set this as it is allocated automatically using PPP. If you configure this incorrectly you will normally find you cannot log in at all.
WAN IP (remote) 0.0.0.0 The IP address for our end of the PPP link should not be configured. This is allocated by PPP automatically. This will change depending on equipment at our end and may even change on every connection in the future.
LAN IP As advised If using NAT then this will be some default such as 192.168.1.254. If you have a block of IPs from us, use the IP and netmask as advised. DO NOT make up a netmask for use with a real IP address that we have allocated - always use the one we have advised.
Routes As necessary If you have a separate router/firewall link block, you will need to configure a static route for your main IP block via your router/firewall. You may want your DSL router to as a DHCP server for your LAN.

This router would support this config though? 

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@billyrg8 

AXE5400 supports both Dynamic IP and PPPoE type of connections.

Internet VLAN can be set here:

In Mode filed you should select your ISP or if it's not present, use Custom and set your Internet VLAN ID manually.

Options
2 weeks ago

This is the current settings I entered, I have tried changing the priority as well.

But without any luck. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 921

Replies: 8

Related Articles