Need help getting the right mesh

2024-03-22 22:06:44

Hi

I am using an Asus Lyra mesh today and it is drivning me and my family crazy. Been recommended to go for a Tp-Link Deco solution but I am no IT guru, so really struggle to select the best solution. You seem knowledgeable and friendly in this forum, so I hope you can help a novice on this one.

I live in a 160m2 villa built in wood with two floors. Today the main mesh node/router is in the living room downstairs, the second one 15 meters away by the stairs to the upper floor and the third node is just up the stairs on first floor. My two boys have two PCs' (wifi connected) upstairs that they play online games on, and we probably have 6-8 wireless units on top of that connected like phones, tablets Chromecast... laptops. Number of units naturally varies. Right now we have a 250/100 Mbit/s subscription. Could naturally be increased if needed, so don't want the mesh system to limit me if I do that in the future.

I have been looking at a set-up of 3 nodes placed where they are placed today, but cannot decide which ones. I do want a fast and strong network and that is the priority. Of course it would be nice not to spend a huge amount of money if there is no need for it though which is the reason I skip Wifi 6e / 7. I do NOT plan to connect all nodes with a cable as I have no interest pulling cables all over the house.

I am choosing between:

X50 AX3000

Seems to be a newer system than X60 and updated more frequently? But will it limit speed and signal strenght on the firsr floor. I am not worried about ground floor, but my boy's are complaining on slow speeds upstairs on their PCs' today.

X55 AX3000

Not quite sure I understand if this will give me any benefits over X50? Is it faster? Stronger signal? I have read it should be seen as a replacement for the X60 since it is newer, but to me it just looks slower???

X60 AX5400

​​​​​To a novice it looks faster and stronger than the other two, but I read it's older and maybe not upgraded as much. Correct?

Which one would you go for? Which set-up is the smart choice if you want speed, stability, strong signal and something that is nlt already outdated? Would they all work maybe, so I just go with the cheapest?

Really appreciate any help I can get 🙏

Options
14 Reply
Re:Need help getting the right mesh
2024-03-23 11:50:54 - last edited 2024-03-23 12:32:35

@PeppeL 

Without going into unnecessary technical details that we can leave for networking gurus, I would suggest choosing between X50 and X55. They seem to be more loved by TP-Link when it comes to new features and firmware updates. They also have three Ethernet ports per node vs. two on X60, which may be handy if you want to hardwire something to Satellite or Main Deco, such as TV or desktop PC.

Scratch X60 off your list.

Check prices for 3-unit sets of X50 and X55 and get one that costs less. By their hardware specs they are practically identical for your needs, but price could vary substantially. I saw on Amazon at my region, at least once, one of these two models were on sale and another not, resulting in substantial price difference. 

Three-unit set should be enough for the property of your size, and it is the right plan to start with placing Deco nodes where Asus Lyra nodes are. You might need to move Deco nodes or configure how they should connect to each other, but this will come next after you get Deco hardware and try it.

Wired WiFi mesh nodes are always the best solution, but it is often pain in the neck to lay Ethernet cables if property is not pre-wired. Does your villa have TV (coaxial) cables? Because, if it does, it may be possible to pass Ethernet traffic over them. You can leave that option for later, just checking if it is available for you and if it is - I'll share recommendations which equipment will be necessary to implement it.

What works for others might no work for you. I strongly recommend getting Deco mesh from place with simple and long (min 2 weeks) return policy. Two weeks should be enough to figure if Deco mesh is the right solution for you.

Options
2024-03-23 12:10:10
Hi, For completeness, what is driving you crazy with the Asus setup? I ask as it may require a rethink/other options for your situation.
Options
2024-03-23 14:16:29

@Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for the help! I might then go for X50 as I can find those at a very good price right now. 

I actually have TV wiring in the house, but never thought that was an option to use even. I have used a solution where you use the electrical wiring in the house to transmit, but never the coax. Is that a bettee solution than wireless??

Options
2024-03-23 14:20:17

@richpriest

Well it is very unstable. That's the main thing. Nodes disconnecting. The enire system lose connection to internet and has to be restarted. Etc etc. Also it seems to lack speed on the first floor and it seems to vary quite a bit. I thought at first that the speed was due to the internet supplier, but that is actually not the case so the issue sits with the Lyra system

Options
2024-03-23 14:29:02 - last edited 2024-03-23 14:38:44

@PeppeL 

TV wiring is absolutely the option and it is as good option as Ethernet cable. It is superior to powerline. 

The technology is called MoCA. Here is general idea:

You will need MoCA adapters, they won't be cheap but think of it as retrofitting your house with gigabit speed Ethernet cables and that could make (financial) sense.

If you have cable modem/router which is MoCA compatible, it becomes even easier and cheaper. If you are not sure, give me your ISP router brand and model name, I can check it for you.

In all other cases you will need one MoCA adapter where TV cable enters your house and has splitters to go to rooms. You will connect that adapter to "man splitter" - think of that splitter as becoming networking switch. On other ends of TV cables in rooms you connect MoCA adapters and you get gigabit Ethernet link from them to MoCA adapter at the main splitter. 

You connect that MoCA adapter with Ethernet cable to either ISP Router like on diagram above (if router is not MoCA compatible already) or to Main Deco LAN port - and done, Ethernet links and Deco Ethernet backhaul over the house.

Not every MoCA adapter is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. I also suggest you get MoCA 2.0 or MoCA 2.5 adapters so that they can deliver gigabit speeds. At my house, I am using "ScreenBeam MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter for High Speed Internet, Ethernet Over Coax (Model: ECB6200S02)."

I tested these, they are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul and they do, indeed, deliver about gigabit speeds over TV cable.

Options
2024-03-23 14:45:13

@PeppeL 

One more thing. If Asus Lyra mesh units have Ethernet backhaul and you like the idea of Ethernet over coax, I would suggest you add MoCA adapters first. Then, try Asus Lyra with Ethernet backhaul (I think they support it) and see if this maybe enough to have stable WiFi mesh over the house.

If still no stable WiFi, you could then try Deco mesh knowing that it can work with MoCA adapters.

Options
2024-03-23 14:51:25

@Alexandre. 

Interesting! Might be a good option. Would I then need to use cables to the boys PCs' on the first floor to see any real difference, or will it even Improve performance if they connect wirelessly to the node on that floor if the node is connected via coax?

Maybe I try first with just a wireless set-up with X50 and see how that works. Should be a big improvement over ny current Lyra at least. I hope 😬 If I am still not 100% satisfied I can try out the coax lines. Sounds reasonable? Might not be worth spending if we are satisfied with the wireless performance. 

When it comes to your question on ISP router... hmmm... I use the Lyra as the router today... I think... I am not good with this stuff as mentioned 🤣

Options
2024-03-23 15:01:34 - last edited 2024-03-23 15:02:25

@PeppeL 

OK, then forget about ISP router/modem brand and model. Not that important.

It is an option to start with Deco mesh as in place replacement for Asus. That might be enough and if not, or if you decided later to sign for faster Internet link speed - keep MoCA option in mind.

When it comes to PC, especially if it is gaming PC, wired always beats wireless. Even if you can only replace one of multiple wireless hops with wired link, it'll be an improvement.

So, for the PC(s):

1. There should be definite improvement if they connect wirelessly to WiFi node which is connected by coax. 

2. Another option, if you can, is to bring Satellite node to where PC(s) are and connect PC(s) to that node with Ethernet cables. Very often the real pain in the neck is PC WiFi network adapter, if you eliminate it by connecting PC with Ethernet cable to WiFi mesh node you might see quite dramatic improvement in gaming experience.

Options
2024-03-23 19:55:29

@Alexandre. 

Reeeeeally appreciate your input! Super thankful!

I just ordered a set of X50 so will give that a shot. Really good idea on wiring the PCs' to a node. I will try it and it it seems to work better I will spend some time getting cables in to the boys rooms.

I saw that Tp-Link also have these homeplugs that you push ethernet via the electrical wirings that is supposed to manage 1gb. Is that solution still not as good as a coax 1gb solution? Substantially cheaper anyway.

Options
2024-03-23 20:56:48

PeppeL wrote

@Alexandre. 

I saw that Tp-Link also have these homeplugs that you push ethernet via the electrical wirings that is supposed to manage 1gb. Is that solution still not as good as a coax 1gb solution? Substantially cheaper anyway.

@PeppeL 

You said before, you "have used a solution where you use the electrical wiring in the house to transmit." TP-Link Homeplug is the same type of solution. They are called powerline adapters: providing Ethernet over electrical wiring.

I am guessing you did not have good experience from using that solution, same will be with homeplug. Ability to transfer gigabit over electrical wiring is exaggeration by marketing folks. In reality, out of all three wired solutions: Ethernet, MoCA and powerline - powerline is the worst. Poweline adapters might even be worse than just WiFi. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 377

Replies: 14

Related Articles