Deco X50 Ethernet speeds slow, but Wifi fine.

2024-03-25 02:54:46
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.  Since I introduced a Deco system in my home network the Ethernet speeds of my few wired devices has dropped significantly.

Using all new cat6a cables it was initially wired into a Virgin fibre hub and I got my maximum speed available (500mb).

I got an x50 pack and set it up as the WiFi range in the hub wasn't great.  The Decos helped massively with the WiFi but now it seems the Ethernet connections are being slowed or throttled in some way.

I have tried several new cat 6a cables plugged directly in to the Deco and also tried going via an unmanaged gigabit switch but still get the same result (speeds around 100-150mb)

I can't work out what the issue is.

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X50 Ethernet speeds slow, but Wifi fine.
2024-03-25 11:42:04

@Elemer 

It is usually either Deco mesh configuration settings, or wired network issue. The description you gave does not completely fit either of those two. If it were wired network issue, such as somewhere you have wired link with 100Mbps instead of gigabit, speed results should have been just under 100Mbps, can't be 150Mbps. 

If these were Deco mesh settings, it is hard to explain why they only apply to wired devices.

Here is what I would suggest. Assuming you still run Virgin fibre hub in its default router mode, switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. In that mode all settings responsible for throttling speeds will be disabled. If after that wired speeds for your devices don't increase, you'll need to look at wired part of your home network and trace where the issue is.

For switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode see Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-03-25 13:54:07

@Alexandre. 
Thanks for the reply.  I think it's more likely a configuration issue as the same cables and switch used prior to installing the Decos were running at full speed no problems.

The Virgin hub is in modem mode and the decos are set to router mode.  I have had a look in the Deco app to see if there were any bandwidth limits on any devices but I'm not sure what I'm looking for to be honest.

Options
2024-03-25 14:00:14 - last edited 2024-03-25 14:16:53

Elemer wrote

@Alexandre. 
Thanks for the reply.  I think it's more likely a configuration issue as the same cables and switch used prior to installing the Decos were running at full speed no problems.

The Virgin hub is in modem mode and the decos are set to router mode.  I have had a look in the Deco app to see if there were any bandwidth limits on any devices but I'm not sure what I'm looking for to be honest.

@Elemer 

That's the thing: it is hard to tell what Deco setting can do that, especially when helping remotely.

I'll tell you what: if that really annoys you (as it should), bring Virgin hub back to its default router mode.  Then, switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode. Then check if issue is still there.

If it does not - why not run everything in that setup? If you don't want to, at least you'll know for sure it is Deco mesh settings. Set Deco mesh back to Router mode and go through different bandwidth throttling settings. I'll look first at priority devices, and such. Disable everything even remotely impacting bandwidth. Empty list of priority devices. Even disable content filtering and antivirus if you can. Stop/disable parental controls - you've got an idea.

It only makes sense to dig through Deco mesh content management settings if you are absolutely sure it is not underlying networking hardware.

Options
2024-03-31 11:33:11
I’m hoping I’ve now resolved this by simply rethinking the cabling. Initially I had it set up hub/modem > Main Deco > Gigabit switch > Second Deco. Now I wired it hub/modem> Main Deco > Second Deco > Gigabit switch and speeds have improved much better.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 183

Replies: 4

Related Articles