Filter mDNS in between wireless users using EAP ACL
Filter mDNS in between wireless users using EAP ACL
2024-03-31 16:50:55 - last edited 2024-04-03 02:43:55
Tags: #mDNS #Chromecast
Model: OC300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.13.24

Hello All,

The multicast broadcast filtering option under the SSID restricts the multicasting coming in from the wired side over to the AP. What if we have a small hotel environment where everyone is on a shared public wi-fi and each iPhone and android device is sending out mDNS discovery multicast queries? These will go not only to the wired side, but also in between the guests. These large number of always ongoing multicast traffic will drive the airtime usage to very high. I am trying to understand as to options available to filter within the users of wi-fi. The guest networking / client isolation features does not stop the flow of the multicast and broadcast traffic. Can I assume that EAP ACL with source of IP group of Public subnet and destination IP-Port Group of Public subnet with UDP to port 5353, will block this traffic, while still allowing it to go over to the LAN side where casting smart TVs will be located? Somehow I don't have any apple devices to test with, so wanted to check with community.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Filter mDNS in between wireless users using EAP ACL-Solution
2024-04-01 07:33:40 - last edited 2024-04-03 02:43:55

@dpsguard 

can't you disable mDNS on shared public wi-fi?
you should also activate guest on the SSID then all private IPs will automatically be blocked.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Filter mDNS in between wireless users using EAP ACL-Solution
2024-04-01 07:33:40 - last edited 2024-04-03 02:43:55

@dpsguard 

can't you disable mDNS on shared public wi-fi?
you should also activate guest on the SSID then all private IPs will automatically be blocked.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 167

Replies: 1

Tags

mDNS
Chromecast
Related Articles