Topography Help

Topography Help
Topography Help
2024-04-02 12:34:10 - last edited 2024-04-03 07:56:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7

Hello,

I have a Virgin cable Hub3 which I have switched in Modem Mode and connected to my main Deco M5, with two satellite Deco M5's working on wi-fi.

In Modem Mode only one of the Hub3 ethernet ports is operable - the one connected to the main Deco M5.

My desktop computer is connected by ethernet cable to the second port of my main Deco M5.

I need a further couple ethernet ports and have ordered a TP-Link TL-SG1005D, 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. 

The only clue I have found is the topography diagram below.

Should I wire the Ethernet Network Switch after the main Deco (as below) - I assume that the wi-fi would still be working from the Main Deco?:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Topography Help-Solution
2024-04-02 14:04:21 - last edited 2024-04-03 07:56:42

@Happyhenry 

Yes, this is the only way, for Deco mesh running in its default Router mode.

You will have more flexibility if you switch Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. For that, you will have to restore original Hub 3 mode, undoing its switch to Modem Mode.

Benefits: all Ethernet ports of Hub3 and Deco nodes and switch that you ordered will be on the same LAN and devices connected to them will see each other. If you have enough ports on Hub3, you can wire everything directly to it.

If you still need that TP-Link TL-SG1005D, you can connect it directly to Hub 3, Main Deco - to one of Hub3 or switch ports, for example like this:

See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Topography Help-Solution
2024-04-02 14:04:21 - last edited 2024-04-03 07:56:42

@Happyhenry 

Yes, this is the only way, for Deco mesh running in its default Router mode.

You will have more flexibility if you switch Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. For that, you will have to restore original Hub 3 mode, undoing its switch to Modem Mode.

Benefits: all Ethernet ports of Hub3 and Deco nodes and switch that you ordered will be on the same LAN and devices connected to them will see each other. If you have enough ports on Hub3, you can wire everything directly to it.

If you still need that TP-Link TL-SG1005D, you can connect it directly to Hub 3, Main Deco - to one of Hub3 or switch ports, for example like this:

See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Topography Help
2024-04-02 14:42:06
Thank you. The reason that I switched my Hub3 to Modem Mode was because I was getting a secondary WiFi detected by my desktop when it was on WiFi. My Virgin WiFi is for eg VM123456 and I was also getting VM123456 2, so assumed the Hub3 and Deco were both generating SSDI and messing up WiFi printing etc. That has been solved by turning off the Hub3 WiFi and running the desktop via an Ethernet cable. However, I also have Hive boiler control which was plugged into the master Deco, so need more ports.
Options
Re:Topography Help
2024-04-02 14:56:53

@Happyhenry 

You should be able to turn off Hub 3 WiFi without switching it to Modem Mode. You are correct that having both Hub3 and Deco WiFi will end in issues.

Either way is OK. Just giving you options. 

Your network diagram is correct and, yes, Main Deco will keep providing WiFi. Everything should work just fine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 115

Replies: 3

Related Articles