DECO SYSTEM and Routing to Home Network

2024-04-07 19:48:12
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

I am wondering if I have made a mistake in either Purchasind a Deco System or the configuration I have chosen.

I have a LN network which gets its Internet Connection Via a Draytek Router. This router handles DHCP and Address reservations and my wired network is set up using the IP Address Range 192.168.0.1-254.  The Router does have WiFI but this is disabled and prior to purchasing the DECO System I had a Draytek WiFi Mesh system in use.  And this system used IP Addresses on the LAN network range.   

I upgraded my WiFi to a Deco system (Two AXE 75 Pro devices to be able to get WiFi 6e.    I dismantled the Draytek WiFi Mesh system and installed the Deco devices and possibly mistakenly in WiFi Router mode, connecting the DECO Bottom connector to one of the Lan ports on the Draytek Router and The Deco system works. I can see the Deco has got an IP address from my LAN 0f 192.168.0.52  But in this WiFi Router configuration the Deco is handing out the DHCP for the WiFi connected devices.   These addresses are in the 192.168.68.1-254 range with the Gateway on the WiFi system as 192.168.68.1

And there is no routing between the two Address ranges.  So when my laptop is connected by WiFi I cannot access my Printer or CCTV Cameras or any other PC on the LAN.

There does appear tobe a setting in the DECO App to set up routing but it seem to be defeating me.

I am wondering if I made a major mistake and should have set the Deco up as AP's but then they would not work as a Mesh system, there does not appear to be any option to do that.  At least teh Daytek WiFi Devices gave you an option to set a MeSH network up with a Mesh Root and subsequent devces added to that root device.

I really do not want to start from scratch and set the Deco devices up as AP's and discover I was better off with my old devices.

What am I doing wrong.

Options
2 Reply
Re:DECO SYSTEM and Routing to Home Network
2024-04-07 20:47:57

@BruceWA 

You have made an assumption that in Access Point mode Deco will not work as a mesh system. This is incorrect assumption.

Deco will run WiFi mesh in both Router and Access Point mode. You should configure Deco to run in Access Point mode. Main Deco must still be connected by Ethernet cable to  Draytek Router. You should keep its WiFi disabled.

Options
Re:DECO SYSTEM and Routing to Home Network
2024-04-08 10:15:22

@Alexandre. Thanks for your response.  I still suspect  routing can be setup in the Deco WiFi Router at least that would be what the App indicates but obviously I do not know how to do that because I have tried what I thought were the correct settings.    As for setting the Deco in AP mode I suspected I would be going that way but was worried about having to reset a lot of devices I had reconfigured to work with the Deco when I had installed after removing the Draytek Mesh devices.  But I was pleasantly surprised that the Deco App copes with the change with no issues and the system is now in AP mode and as you say it has gone into Mesh mode.  Thanks for your response.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 131

Replies: 2

Related Articles