New Broadband & Router - Reset Connection

2024-04-08 11:51:07 - last edited 2024-04-08 11:59:21
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.7.14

Hi all,

I just had Sky upgrade my broadband. The engineer plugged the Deco unit to the back of the new router and I can connect OK, however the speeds are a lot less than what I am getting direct from the router. 

I am assuming I will need to reset the Deco unit somehow? I have switched the power off and on again but hasnt done the trick. Is there anything else I can try to boost the speeds up to what the router speeds are without going through the setup process again? I would love for this to work, so I can avoid entering a new PW into a gazillion wireless devices in the household. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks!   

Options
3 Reply
Re:New Broadband & Router - Reset Connection
2024-04-08 12:43:51

@Red_Nation is the Deco part of the broadband package that Sky provided or is it your own network equipment? My first thought would be that if it's very close to your new Sky router you'll need to disable the wifi on it to prevent interference with the Deco wifi. You might also need to set the Sky router into modem-only mode to disable the router functionality, or if you prefer to keep that set your Deco mesh into AP mode. You could also try enabling/disabling QoS in the Deco app, if your connection is now faster and you have old QoS limits in place you'll be throttled. I've also heard reports of QoS fixing local connection speeds when the limit is set appropriately for your connection but no idea why!

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2024-04-08 12:55:11

Hey @Wrayman 

Firstly thanks for the reply! The Deco unit is separate to the Sky equipment. I originally bought as the Sky router was very limited in its coverage and so had black spots everywhere. The Deco unit has been a lifesaver since then! Its literally next to the Sky router and connected via an Ethernet cable at the moment. 

We now have a new fibre to the premises broadband and was looking to avoid any setup/re-entering of new networks into devices as its time consuming. I am also not very techy so was looking for a quick fix. 

I will try to limit the wifi option on the new SKy router but just wanted some advice on how to put the Deco in AP mode? 

Thanks in advance!    

Options
2024-04-08 13:10:50

@Red_Nation if you have an FTTP connection and a standard ethernet cable between the "box in the wall" and the Sky router you might be able to remove it completely and just plug the Deco straight into the FTTP modem, but a quick Google seems to suggest that the M4 isn't compatible with Sky's FTTP configuration.

For enabling AP mode in your current setup, the following link should walk you through the process: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode | TP-Link United Kingdom

Provided you disable the wifi on the Sky router and swap the Decos to AP mode it should hopefully improve your connection speeds yes

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 80

Replies: 3

Related Articles