Issue with DoS Protection on Archer C6 Router

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.16 BuiId2 30828 rel.44657(5553)

Subject: Issue with DoS Protection on Archer C6 Router

Dear TP-Link Global Community Support Team,

I am reaching out to you regarding an issue I am experiencing with the DoS protection feature on my TP-Link Archer C6 router.

Issue Description:

When I enable the DoS protection in the firewall settings of my TP-Link Archer C6 router, specifically the ICMD-FLOOD, UDP-FLOOD, and TCP-SYN-FLOOD attack filtering options, the router blocks my computer by IP address and MAC address, preventing me from accessing the Internet.

I am not conducting any DoS attacks or attempting to harm my own network. However, the router blocks me, and I have to release my IP address from the blocked devices list and save the settings to regain Internet access. This is very inconvenient and disruptive, as I have to log into the router's management interface and perform the IP release process each time this issue occurs.

Router Information:

• Router Model: TP-Link Archer C6
  • Hardware Version: Archer C6 v3.20
  • Firmware Version: 1.0.16 Build 2 30828 rel.44657(5553)

Question:

I would like to know which option I should choose to configure the DoS protection in a way that I can avoid being incorrectly blocked while still having effective protection against potential DoS attacks. Should I set the protection to High, Medium, Low, or Off? Or is there a specific option I should adjust to avoid this problem?

Additional Information:

• Screenshots: [Please attach screenshots of the DoS protection settings and any relevant error messages or notifications]

I appreciate your help and assistance in resolving this issue. I look forward to your prompt response.

Best regards,

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Issue with DoS Protection on Archer C6 Router-Solution

@Chrisminal 

Yes, you should lower the level for these three.

You could set the number of packets for every level though from here:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options

@Chrisminal 

Don't copy the screenshot values - they are just an exmple what numbers you can put in  there.

Delete your PC from blockled hosts list and lower the level of the three parameter to Medium then test how that goes.

If your PC is still appearing in this blocked hosts list lower the parameter settings once more to Low then test.

If the issue persist try lowering values of parameters in the screenhost in small steps until you find your PC sweetspot.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Issue with DoS Protection on Archer C6 Router

@Chrisminal 

The level of protection is based on the number of traffic packets. The protection will be triggered immediately when the number of packets exceeds the preset threshold value (the value can be set on Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters > DoS Protection Level Settings, and the vicious host will be displayed in the Blocked DoS Host List.

Options

@terziyski 

Thank you for your prompt response and explanation regarding the DoS protection feature. However, I've noticed that the specific settings you mentioned, such as "DoS Protection Level Settings" under "Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters", do not appear in the interface of my Archer C6 router.

Could you please provide detailed instructions on how to adjust the DoS protection settings specifically for the Archer C6 model? I am experiencing issues where my computer is being incorrectly blocked by the router, preventing me from accessing the Internet, even though I am not conducting any DoS attacks or attempting to harm my own network.

I appreciate your help and assistance in resolving this issue. I look forward to your prompt response.

Thank you for your prompt response and explanation regarding the DoS protection feature. However, my Archer C6 router's administration interface shows a firewall section with the following options:

• Security
  • Firewall
    • SPI Firewall
    • DoS Protection
      • DoS Protection:
        • ICMD-FLOOD Attack Filtering: High
        • UDP-FLOOD Attack Filtering: High
        • TCP-SYN-FLOOD Attack Filtering: High
    • Blocked DoS Host List

I do not have the specific options like "DoS Protection Level Settings" that you mentioned in your previous response.

Should I adjust the filter level of the Attack Filtering options (ICMD-FLOOD, UDP-FLOOD, TCP-SYN-FLOOD) to a lower level, such as medium or low, to resolve the issue? I am experiencing issues where my computer is being incorrectly blocked by the router, preventing me from accessing the Internet, even though I am not conducting any DoS attacks or attempting to harm my own network.

Options

@Chrisminal 

Yes, you should lower the level for these three.

You could set the number of packets for every level though from here:

Recommended Solution
Options

@terziyski 

Should I copy the parameters that you provided to match the settings in my configuration? I haven't modified these parameters; I left them with the router's factory settings. If I should change them, should I update them to match the intervals you have in the image?

I appreciate your help and assistance in resolving this issue. If your solution resolves my issue, I will mark it as a "Recommended Solution" as suggested.

Options

@Chrisminal 

Don't copy the screenshot values - they are just an exmple what numbers you can put in  there.

Delete your PC from blockled hosts list and lower the level of the three parameter to Medium then test how that goes.

If your PC is still appearing in this blocked hosts list lower the parameter settings once more to Low then test.

If the issue persist try lowering values of parameters in the screenhost in small steps until you find your PC sweetspot.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 235

Replies: 5

Related Articles