Issues with Deco E4R devices after firmware update

2024-04-15 10:36:22 - last edited 2024-04-16 06:47:04
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hello TP-Link community,

I'm reaching out here because I'm experiencing persistent issues with my three Deco AC-1200 devices ever since I updated to the latest firmware (1.6.1 build 20231227 Rel.53644). It seems like my Decos have gone a bit haywire since the update, and I'm hoping to find some assistance or insight into resolving these issues.

Here's a breakdown of what's been happening:

1. The primary Deco is connected via cable to my router, as usual. However, the other Decos, despite also being connected via cable, are showing up in the app as connected via Wi-Fi. I've double-checked the cables, and they're in good condition (tested by connecting a PC), but for some reason, they're not registering as wired connections in the app.

2. The second Deco, even though connected by cable, keeps dropping its connection. The light on it turns red and starts flashing, indicating a connection issue. I've tried reseating the cable and even using a different port on the router, but the problem persists. Only when I unplug the cable does the signal return, and the Deco reconnects.

I'm puzzled as to what might be causing these issues and how to go about resolving them. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Issues with Deco E4R devices after firmware update-Solution
2024-04-15 18:58:25 - last edited 2024-04-16 06:47:04

@Zeick 

Your Deco mesh runs in its default Router mode. For that wiring to work, Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode. See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Issues with Deco E4R devices after firmware update
2024-04-15 13:16:47 - last edited 2024-04-15 14:28:24

@Zeick 

You said "other Decos, despite also being connected via cable" - but where do they connect, to the switch or to ISP router?

From what you describe it appears they might be not wired as to be able to use Ethernet backhaul, or something prevents them from using Ethernet backhaul. It is unlikely this is related to recent firmware upgrade.

If you can give more info on how they are wired, that will help.

Also, please tell me what you see under Operating Mode in Advanced page of your Deco app, example:

Also check the following FAQ document for ideas of what could go wrong with Ethernet backhaul: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2024-04-15 17:21:57

@Alexandre. Thank you for your fast reply. One of this is direclty coneccted (wired) to my ISP router, these one shows like is connected by wifi. The other is conected to a switch that switch is conected to my ISP router. That deco shows an intermitent red ligth and I can see in the app as wired connection.

Here you can see my settings in the advanced section fron the app:

Fast Roaming: Disabled

Beamforming: Enabled

Operation Mode:  Router WiFi

Options
Re:Issues with Deco E4R devices after firmware update-Solution
2024-04-15 18:58:25 - last edited 2024-04-16 06:47:04

@Zeick 

Your Deco mesh runs in its default Router mode. For that wiring to work, Deco mesh must run in Access Point mode. See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-16 06:46:48

@Alexandre. Many Thanks for your help. I changed the operation mode to AP and my Decos started to work in good conditions. Now I can see in the app how they are conected by wired.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 512

Replies: 4

Related Articles