Archer C7 V2 firmware upgrade fails

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.2 Build 170525 Rel.37571n

Hello,

I would like to update from the above mentioned version to the latest version - ArcherC7v2_en_us_180114.bin - which i did found on the tp-link website, but it starts the upgrade "processing wait until system reboots" but after the reboot not much is happening...

I tried to do a factory reset before i try to upgrade to the latest version,  but version 3.15.2 Build 170525 Rel.37571n is still there...

I had the idea that maybe it happened because of browser addons - use firefox - so i tried it with edge, but that didn't work as well?

Why is this happening, and why can't i upgrade the firmware?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C7 V2 firmware upgrade fails-Solution

@Haring 

It's difficult to answer this question but I'd reset the router in such case too.

How do you update the router FW via ethernet cable ?

If that's the case connect the router via wi-fi and try again.

If that doesn't work for you try deleting browser cache or in incognito/private tab.

In general this should work as expected - here's an example where C7 v3 was updated with the same FW release.

Note: Your device's configuration may be lost after upgrading. You may need to reconfigure the device

Make some notes on your configuration before updating to this FW release.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C7 V2 firmware upgrade fails
2 weeks ago

@Haring 

The FW version that you've found is for a US region device.

Look at your device bottom sticker and check the FW region - details.

If your device is with an EU region use this FW release to update.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2 weeks ago

Thank you for your quick response.

I just checked with my telephone loop, it is almost impossible to read, the FCC ID: TE7C7V2.

I have no idea from which region this should be...

Options

@Haring 

In many cases the FW region corresponds to where did you buy the device.

In any case, if you try to update with EU FW region it will succeed or throw an error message, so you can give it a go.

Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski 

It's kind of difficult to see, but i just checked again and it is US version(V2), so the version i tried to upgrade it with was correct.

But why does it fail then?
I had the idea that set it to factory settings would solve it, but that didn't help either...

Options
Re:Archer C7 V2 firmware upgrade fails-Solution

@Haring 

It's difficult to answer this question but I'd reset the router in such case too.

How do you update the router FW via ethernet cable ?

If that's the case connect the router via wi-fi and try again.

If that doesn't work for you try deleting browser cache or in incognito/private tab.

In general this should work as expected - here's an example where C7 v3 was updated with the same FW release.

Note: Your device's configuration may be lost after upgrading. You may need to reconfigure the device

Make some notes on your configuration before updating to this FW release.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski 

Well, since i already tried everything except the browser with private tab, i just tried that and the upgrade was succesful :)

It's kind of odd because i already tried it with 2 browser, firefox with add-ons and basic edge, but anyway it doesn't matter it worked.

Thank you!

Options
2 weeks ago

@Haring 

If your Archer C7 V2 firmware upgrade is acting up, start by giving the router a reset to its factory settings. Double-check you've got the right firmware for your specific hardware version. Also, try using a different browser or device to do the upgrade. If you're still stuck, reach out to TP-Link support—they can lend a hand.

Regard: Sunder Sen

Options
a week ago

@sundersen49 

Read my post above please.

I have done everything i could - right version, right firmware, factory reset, different browser, cabled connection - but the solution was provided byi   @terziyski.

He suggested to use a private tab in my browser for upgrading and that worked. The 1st attempt was successful.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 221

Replies: 8

Related Articles