Can You Use Deco M4 As Wifi Extender (I.E. Connected To The Router Wirelessly)?

2024-04-28 10:51:49
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 Build 20220113 Rel. 38349

We have just had installed Virgin Media 500Mbps internet and TV services, into our large, old, 3-storey house.  The VM wifi router is quite powerful, but not powerful enough to give good signal up in my son's attic bedroom or even in the extremities of the ground or first floors, so I bought a set of 3 Deco M4s.

Upon setting the first one up yesterday, I was disappointed to find that there appears to be no way to connect the M4s to the router wirelessly (certainly nothing evident in the app or the M4 advertising online pages).  It seems such a waste to have to turn the wifi off on the VM router and position the first M4 right next to it to as to connect to it via ethernet - is it possible to connect the first M4 to the router wirelessly, and then the rest of the M4 mesh extending wirelessly out from that?

Thanks for any help smiley

RovinRhino

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can You Use Deco M4 As Wifi Extender (I.E. Connected To The Router Wirelessly)?
2024-04-28 15:25:43

@RovinRhino 

No, you can not. Deco mesh runs as its own WiFi mesh.

Virgin may be offering their own WiFi signal extenders, which is WiFi mesh. These will work together with their router. You may wish to check if they offer such extenders at your area and if they do - consider returning M4s and going with WiFi mesh solution from your ISP.

Options
Re:Can You Use Deco M4 As Wifi Extender (I.E. Connected To The Router Wirelessly)?
2024-04-28 16:13:37

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your prompt reply.  My provider does offer wifi extenders, but only at a monthly rental fee, so I decided I'd rather make a one-off purchase and save money in the long run.

Never mind, I will just have to do what seems so illogical to me and turn the wifi off the Virgin router and just use the 3 M4s as the house wifi network.

Thanks again,

RovinRhino.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 430

Replies: 2

Related Articles