Omada wifi constantly dropping clients

2024-05-10 12:57:35
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I'm running a ER605 router (main WAN and a 4G backup WAN), OC200 controller and 3 x EAP225 APs.

I'm experiencing an issue where the WiFi connection on client devices will constantly drop and reconnect (approx every 5 seconds) making it impossible to use. This only seems to be on Android devices, and it seems to be a known issue with Pixels in particular (just google "pixel disconnecting from wifi"). However everything I've found about it points to a issue with the connection rather than the device. Most of the online posts are from consumers and the advice given is to reset their router, obviously this doesn't quite work for me. 

I've tested using my own devices (Samsung & Pixel) and have turned off all the advanced Wifi features on the device to no avail. I've also disabled the 5GHz and 6GHz bands for the networks which has made no difference. I don't know what to try next. Myself and colleagues have been using mobile data because it's more reliable which is insane. Windows and Apple devices seem absolutely fine, it's just Android phones.

Was experiencing this issue prior to introducing the ER605 and the second WAN so I can rule out either of those being the issue.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received

Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada wifi constantly dropping clients
2024-05-11 06:39:58 - last edited 2024-05-11 06:44:53

mgb_uk wrote

Hi

I'm running a ER605 router (main WAN and a 4G backup WAN), OC200 controller and 3 x EAP225 APs.

I'm experiencing an issue where the WiFi connection on client devices will constantly drop and reconnect (approx every 5 seconds) making it impossible to use. This only seems to be on Android devices, and it seems to be a known issue with Pixels in particular (just google "pixel disconnecting from wifi"). However everything I've found about it points to a issue with the connection rather than the device. Most of the online posts are from consumers and the advice given is to reset their router, obviously this doesn't quite work for me. 

I've tested using my own devices (Samsung & Pixel) and have turned off all the advanced Wifi features on the device to no avail. I've also disabled the 5GHz and 6GHz bands for the networks which has made no difference. I don't know what to try next. Myself and colleagues have been using mobile data because it's more reliable which is insane. Windows and Apple devices seem absolutely fine, it's just Android phones.

Was experiencing this issue prior to introducing the ER605 and the second WAN so I can rule out either of those being the issue.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received

Hello @mgb_uk 

Can you share mode details about your controller setting? Please share the screenshots of the SSID setting page including the advanced settings. 

Besides, what about creating a test SSID in 2.4/5G only, and select the encryption as WPA/WPA2 not includes the WPA3? Will it be available on your Android devices? Please also try to select different channel for the SSID.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-21 20:16:12

@Hank21 

Please see screenshots below

Options
2024-05-21 20:39:59

@Hank21 

I tried creating a test network, the same thing happens

Please see video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8DbTuuqlXVA?si=pEfU2yCHbKLVUZvO

Options
2024-05-22 01:13:24 - last edited 2024-05-22 03:50:20

Hi @mgb_uk 

Could you try to disable the PMF on SSID setting and try again? Please also try to upgrade all your EAP to latest firmware.

To assist you better, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID TKID240539146, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-08-01 19:53:38

@mgb_uk This seems to be an endemic problem.  I just returned an EAP670 for the same reason.  TP-Link devices have very limited diagnostic capabilities, making it extremely difficult to troubleshoot issues.  In my case it seems the AP gets into a state where devices that sleep and re-awaken get an "incorrect password" error that requires an AP reboot to correct.

Options