Combine static IP-address for cabled and wifi connections

2024-05-15 19:46:22
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20230906 rel.41773(4555)

I have a device that is connected to the network via cabled and wifi connections. The device can choose either one and does so regularly with varying and uncertain results. To connect to the device I need a static IP-address but I have no access to the device for setting that up, so I tried setting that up in the WiFi-router. I need both addresses to be the same, independant of the device's choice of connection method. Address reservation of the DHCP server will not let me choose idential IP-addresses for the 2 MAC-addresses. I am now thinking of Static Routing, but would need help if that would be an option. I.e. I think about routing the static address of the WiFi-port onto the static address of the cabled connection as a gateway. Would that be possible, and if so: how to do it? Or is there another solution for this problem? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Combine static IP-address for cabled and wifi connections
2024-05-15 22:16:16

@roelvdh 

Why do you need both addresses to be the same?  Why not reserve two consecutive IP addresses in the DHCP server?

Options
2024-05-15 23:10:20
I have various programs running that control the device via json-commands. Having 2 addresses means that every program has to try 2 json-commands for every action. That would be quite some reprogramming.
Options
2024-05-16 02:56:40

@roelvdh 

Hi,thanks for posting question here. I am afraid it is impossible to assigin same IP address to 2 different MAC.

Options
2024-05-16 06:33:30

@Marvin_S 

Yes, trying to assign the same static address to 2 MAC's already failed. That's why I thought of 2 static addresses routing one to the other but it may be a wild thought.

Options
2024-05-16 10:10:12

@Marvin_S

... to be more specific:

Normally, static routing is used on a network plane. In my case:

Network destination = 192.168.2.0

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 0.0.0.0

Interface = lan

I was thinking whether this could also work for an IP-address, not a network plane. Something like:

Network destination = my device's WiFi-port static address = 192.168.2.191

Subnet Mask = ??, probably 255.255.255.255 ?

Gateway = my device's RJ45-port static address = 192.168.2.192

Interface = ?? 

Obviously I can try that myself but I thought this could be an issue known to the community and I found it an interesting subject worth debating.

By the way: I can easily solve the problem by disconnecting the RJ45-cables, thus forcing the devices to use WiFi on known static addresses. But I live in a heavily loaded WiFi-area and tend to use cabling where possible.

Options
2024-05-21 10:39:42

@roelvdh 

Hi, you may try to enable a TPC-based VPN server on the router, and then fix the IP assigned by the VPN, so that no matter which NIC is used in your device, the same tunnel IP can be used to be accessed.

For your reference: How to establish a VPN connection

Options
2024-05-21 10:50:09

@Marvin_S 

Great idea, hadn't thought of that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 347

Replies: 7

Related Articles