Considering upgrade from M5 to XE75 - Will it be worthwhile?

2024-05-24 00:33:12 - last edited 2024-05-24 03:25:00

Hi,

I currently have a 3 satellite M5 system. Using Ookla Speedtest, I am measuring speeds of ~250Mbps at the main satellite, ~100Mps at the next satellite, and ~50Mps at the farthest satellite. I have daisy chained the satellites, as this seems to give me better results than a star connection to the main unit.

I'm wondering if I upgrade to an XE75 system, with dedicated wireless backhaul, if I will see bettter speeds with less loss at the remote satellites?

Unfortunately a wired backhaul is not an option for me.

Other info:

Located in Australia with HFC NBN connection.

Current modem/router is TP-Link VR1600V, but I gather the XE75 can connect directly to NBN and replace this modem/router, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards,

Jonty

Options
7 Reply
Re:Considering upgrade from M5 to XE75 - Will it be worthwhile?
2024-05-24 11:27:38

@JontyG 

What you have with M5 is expected: each hop cuts speed by half.

Still, Main Deco can do better: in my tests with gigabit Internet link Main Deco M5 can deliver up to 500Mbps.

Before replacing M5s, it would be good to check if Internet link is a bottleneck.

What is the speed of your Internet link?

Also, run "Test Internet Speed" from main screen of Deco app, that will report actual speed of your Internet link. What is it?

Options
2024-05-24 12:32:54

@Alexandre. Thanks for your reply. 

I'm in Australia, where our Internet speeds are not great. 

My actual Internet speed is ~250 - 270Mbps, which is what I'm recording at main unit, and what Deco internet speed test reports

Options
2024-05-24 13:32:35 - last edited 2024-05-24 15:13:18

@JontyG 

If you could sign for 500Mbps Internet, that would be the easiest solution. It should double WiFi speeds you see.

If not, 3-band Deco is an option, but do not expect miracles. Dual-band such as M5 cuts speed by half, tri-band in my tests cuts speed by 20%-25% at each hop.

With Internet speeds under 500Mbps you could use tri-band Deco not necessarily with 6GHz backhaul band, 5GHz can do, too. Here are options I'd like to recommend you:

M9 Plus

X90

X95

XE75 (the one you are considering)

Here is the thing: all can do, so you can just buy them based on price. You will need 3-unit set.

Can't help with router replacement, but XE75 is nothing special. If you can replace router with M5, you can with any other Deco. If you can't, I am not sure you can replace your router with XE75 or any other Deco model from this list.

Options
2024-05-26 01:59:44

@JontyG I'm not sure about the HFC connection. Umm ... don't you have coaxial cable going into the modem?

If you do then I think the modem serves as a media converter from the coaxial cable to the local network, the xe75 has no modem it just has ethernet and hence can connect directly to the ethenet port of the fibre nbn box (which I don't think you have).

I wonder if you need connection information?

Does your modem(/router) provide phone services?

What provider are you with?

Options
2024-05-26 04:21:31

@raven-au thanks for your reply. 

I have coax I to NBN box, which connects via ethernet to my AR1600V modem/router. 

I'm with iinet. Don't have phone services configured, but do use dynamic DNS and port forwarding. 

Options
2024-05-26 04:36:59

JontyG wrote

Unfortunately a wired backhaul is not an option for me.

Thanks for the responses. 

Having looked more closely at my setup and options I've decided I'll install an ethernet backhaul through a switch and stick with the M5s for now.

I was hoping to avoid this (I hate running cable), but understand this will give me the best performance outcome and bang for buck. Just have to find some time and motivation to do it 😉. 

Options
2024-05-26 23:37:25

@JontyG if you can use wired backhaul that would get you the best improvement, particularly as you have dual band devices.

The reality is, in many cases, you don't get as much improvemnt as you had hoped with wireless backhaul.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244

Replies: 7

Related Articles