A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hi, I hope somebody can help/point out where I’m going wrong with my setup.

My ISP-provided router started dropping packets and then died, so decided to go down the ‘prosumer’ line and purchased an ER 605.

I am an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to computer networks - I’m confident enough to push the buttons, but not always confident that they’re the right ones to push!

My setup is [Fibre ONT]→[ER 605]→[Tenda MW12 Mesh]→[Netgear G108 Switcher]→[MacMini,TV,etc. Via ethernet]

I used to have it [ER 605]→[Netgear G108 Switcher]→[Tenda MW12 Mesh] but then couldn’t access the MacMini via screen sharing or smb from other Macs, which I need. The Tenda set itself to Dynamic IP, and is handing out IP addresses via DHCP ( I guess, as the app is very ‘limited’).

I need to open a port for the MacMini, which I have as a NAS using Plex, but have so far failed to manage it.

My question is where am I going wrong, I’ve opened up the port in the Tenda app (which tbh I’m not sure I needed to do as the MacMini is Cat 5e directly from the switcher with no WiFi turned on), but what do I open in the 605 - I’ve tried the MacMini IP address and it still says it’s closed.

Sorry for the convoluted post, and thanks in advance…

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-Solution

Hi @JBTVNews 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, it sounds like a problem with the NAT thing. Based on the description, it seems to be that Tenda is a router.

Is there any possibility for you to set the Tenda as an Access Point?

That's important because if you can set it to the Access Point mode, you don't have any NAT so you don't have to open ports and everything is under the LAN of the ER605.

ER605-Tenda-MAC mini, if you have connected them in this way, anything in Tenda can access the devices in ER605. ER605 cannot access the Tenda and anything in the LAN of the Tenda like the MAC mini. 

This is how NAT works. You should bypass it by setting it to an AP or port forward which is not a good way and you need to maintain it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Clive_A wrote

Hi @JBTVNews 

So, it sounds like a problem with the NAT thing. Based on the description, it seems to be that Tenda is a router.

That's important because if you can set it to the Access Point mode, you don't have any NAT so you don't have to open ports and everything is under the LAN of the ER605.

ER605-Tenda-MAC mini, if you have connected them in this way, anything in Tenda can access the devices in ER605. ER605 cannot access the Tenda and anything in the LAN of the Tenda like the MAC mini. 

This is how NAT works. You should bypass it by setting it to an AP or port forward which is not a good way and you need to maintain it.

@Clive_A 

Finally home and tried your fix last night - double NAT was indeed the issue!

I hadn't realised that the MW-12 system could also be a router, which is where the trouble started.

Thanks very much for your help - I greatly appreciate it...

Jb

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply

Hi @JBTVNews 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
3 weeks ago

@JBTVNews 

As @Clive_A says , you have double NAT which is going to cause problems.

From what I can see in the manual , the MW12 can be switched to bridge mode ( page 18 ) , this should remove the double NAT and allow everything to be controlled from the ER605.

Note that you will lose some functionality e.g parental controls in the MW12

Options
Re:A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A  

Thanks to both of you for replying - I'm working away from home for a couple of days, but will. give this a shot when I get back.

Thanks again!

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Clive_A wrote

Hi @JBTVNews 

@Clive_A 

Finally home and tried your fix last night - double NAT was indeed the issue!

I hadn't realised that the MW-12 system could also be a router, which is where the trouble started.

Thanks very much for your help - I greatly appreciate it...

Jb

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 165

Replies: 4

Related Articles