Unexplained TP-Link Range Extender on My Device List When Using Mobile Data

2024-06-09 17:41:18
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20240323 rel.70541

Hello TP-Link community,

I'm reaching out because I've discovered an unfamiliar TP-Link range extender device appearing on my Tether app My Device List on the first page. I did not set up or add this range extender myself.

The strange thing is, this unknown TP-Link device only shows up when I'm using my mobile data network, not when I'm connected to my home WiFi. When I switch back to my home WiFi, the device disappears from the list.

When I try to click in to this "local device" on the TP-Link homepage, it redirects me to a link that seems suspicious and does not match the official TP-Link domain. This has raised some serious security concerns for me.

I'm worried this unknown range extender may have been added to my network without my knowledge or consent, possibly when I'm using mobile data. Has anyone else experienced something similar, with an unrecognized TP-Link device showing up in their network under certain connectivity conditions?

I want to ensure the integrity and security of my home network. Can anyone provide insight on what this unknown range extender could be, and how I can properly investigate and address this issue? 

Any advice or shared experiences from the community would be greatly appreciated. I'm eager to understand what's going on and resolve this potential security concern.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Damien

Options
12 Reply
Re:Unexplained TP-Link Range Extender on My Device List When Using Mobile Data
2024-06-12 02:07:32

@Damienyip 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

It is quite strange and I never met it before. For your network security, here are some troubleshooting suggestions for your reference:

1. Please uninstall the Tether app and reinstall it for a try.

2. Please check on another phone.

3. Did you have any TP-Link range extender in your house?

4. Did you share your TP-Link ID and login password to anyone? You may change the password for higher security.

Options
2024-07-09 22:09:15

@Marvin_S 

I too have this issue and security concern.

i had range extenders but no longer have them due to the security risk. 
the app has been reinstalled and all passwords changed multiple times but still this unknown range extender shows on mobile data.

what is tplink's next advice before I throw away this router and buy a proper brand and vow never to buy a single to link product? 

Options
2024-07-09 22:17:06

Gavna wrote

@Marvin_S 

I too have this issue and security concern.

i had range extenders but no longer have them due to the security risk. 
the app has been reinstalled and all passwords changed multiple times but still this unknown range extender shows on mobile data.

what is tplink's next advice before I throw away this router and buy a proper brand and vow never to buy a single to link product? 

@Gavna 

File:
IMG_0281.jpegDownload
Options
2024-07-10 11:48:17

@Gavna   @Damienyip 

Hi, thanks for all your feedback.

We have high-prioritized this issue and confirmed that it is not related to the router model. Please kindly ignore this device(TP-Link range extender) in the Tether APP for a short time and do not access to it. We promise that there is no security risk at this time. This will be fixed in the near future through an iteration of the app.

Options
2024-07-10 12:05:56

@Marvin_S 

on the contrary I believe that TP LINKS products (mine is an AX95) to be of poor construction, design and software execution, with HUGE SECURITY FLAWS. 

ill hold my breath for any resolution as my model of router which was a small fortune hasn't had any firmware updates since it was manufactured! 
I bought three WiFi repeaters from to link to match this hardware, only to find my money has been wasted on a cheap, none supportive company called TP-LINK. Stick to a real manufacturer, I've wasted about £500 on my setup with the additional network security which does NOTHING. 
my neighbours can basically hack me daily using simple methods as they aren't computer geniuses by a long shot. Unless TP LINK would offer a replacement for all this poor shoddy hardware with hardware they can safely stand behind themselves then basically  I'm lumbered with nothing more than a paperweight. 

Options
2024-07-11 05:58:24

@Gavna 

Hi, we understand your worries about network security. May I confirm how your neighbors hacked your network and how did your find that.

Sorry that we don't get advanced notice of whether there will be new updates being released or when a feature update will be available for Archer AX95. The way we do firmware is that we only release a new version when there is a bug/flaw/vulnerability to patch or a new feature to add, but since I am not in software development, I cannot provide a definite answer. We recommend keeping an eye on our official website or the web UI for any new firmware updates if there would be any.

If you have performance issue with using Archer AX95, welcome to share us or contact local technical support.

Options
2024-07-11 15:52:34

@Marvin_S 

i find that I'm being hacked because I run a closed fixed MAC address pool with a limited DHCP pool to specific devices, my screenshots attached to this show a MAC address that isn't any of my hardware connecting on a ip address not even in the ip address pool!?!?!  (Pool is 192.168.0.120 to 192.168.0.130) this random MAC address is connecting to up 192.168.0.1??? I have one mesh disabled and no repeaters or additional routers in the house so it can only be a violated access. 

Options
2024-07-11 15:55:22

@Marvin_S 

pictures attached

File:
IMG_0275.jpegDownload
Options
2024-07-11 15:55:48
File:
IMG_0276.pngDownload
Options
2024-07-12 07:20:07

@Gavna 

Hi, thanks for your detailed update.

May I confirm how many clients do you have?  Are Random MAC address turned on?

Please refresh the client list and reboot the router to check if the issue remains.

Can you log into the web UI of the router and share the whole page of Connected Clients ( go to Network Map> Clients icon)? Please check whether you still can see the device with IP 192.168.0.1.

BTW, who is your ISP and what is your exact network topology?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 696

Replies: 12

Related Articles