WR802n client mode wont show phone hotspot

2 weeks ago
Model: TL-WR802N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.17 v0001.0 build 200623 Rel. 63672n

Hi, I searched through many threads but could not find a solution to this. Appreciate any help.

I have a WR802n v4 and want to use Client mode by connecting it to my phones wifi hotspot. I’ve gone through the standard procedures ie scanned and set up the hotspot under wireless settings, however the phone does not show the WR802n as a connected device.

If I instead use the house wifi as the Host Network, Client mode works fine.

The bizarre thing is my phones hotspot works without any issue in WISP mode (connects fine). The other strange thing is if in Client mode I scan and select my phones hotspot, the WR802n stops blinking as if it has successfully connected to my phone, but its not listed in the “connected devices” list in my phone.

My phone is a Samsung S21. I tried another phone (S9), same problem.

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:WR802n client mode wont show phone hotspot
2 weeks ago

@BenS2024 

You could try changing the wireless settings of the Samsung hotspot like wireless band (use 2.4GHz) or change security level.

Use this guide on how to do that (Configure mobile hotspot) section.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:WR802n client mode wont show phone hotspot
2 weeks ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Already tried those without luck. 

I used the livechat to talk with a TP-Link technician yesterday. The person said the 802n works best with a normal router and that a mobile hotspot "sometimes" works. Got an email reply today from TP Link saying "the problem may arise because the devices are solely configured using a phone hotspot, which is not recommended due to potential connection issues".

Tbh, quite disappointed because I bought the 802n specifically for a situation where I need it to work off a phone hotspot. The 702n I previously had did this without issue.

My brother-in-law is a network technician, so he'll give it a go later this month. If any progress is made I'll write it on this thread.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 96

Replies: 2

Related Articles