1 deco only using 5GHz, the other 2.4GHz

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

I have a pair of PX50 and they are placed in opposite ends of my concrete flat (hence the need for powerline). I noticed 5Ghz devices only connect to the main unit, and 2.4GHz devices only connect to the satellite, even though it is quite a bit further away. If i unplug the satellite, there isn't a 2.4GHz band operating at all.

So at first I thought the main unit's 2.4GHz isn't working, so I swapped them. But now the same thing happens! The now main-unit only uses 5GHz, and the now satellite-unit (the one I thought it's 2.4 isn't working) now only uses 2.4?!

Is there a placement / setting that is causing this? I have switched off guest network but doesn't change things.

Options
2 Reply
Re:1 deco only using 5GHz, the other 2.4GHz
2 weeks ago

@zgz 

Hi,

Please check if the 5G devices are closer to the main Deco and 2.4G devices closer to the satellite Deco units.

Usually both units should broadcast 2.4G and 5G WIFI, how do you find that 2.4G stopped working when you unplug the satellite ones?

If you want the devices connect to certain Deco units, you can set the connection preference: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:1 deco only using 5GHz, the other 2.4GHz
2 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

The main is in the living room, and the satalite is in the bedroom, and all the 2.4 devices in both rooms all connect to the bedroom satalite, and all the 5gz devices in both rooms connnect to the living room one. the same thing happened when i swapped them and changed the 'main deco' so bands in both routers work, just not at the same time!

I used a wifi scanner and can see the MAC address of the two routers and the bands they are sending out.

Options