LAN IP Keeps Changing after reboots.

Thursday - last edited 4 hours ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.4 Build 20231222 Rel. 63684

Hi everyone,

For a few years now I've been having this constant issue every power outages, planned reboot, and firmware updates. Once the Deco reboots and get back online my LAN IP and DHCP address distribution changes from 192.168.68.X to 192.168.0.X to 192.168.1.X, and every time it does so my NAS and smart devices stop working. After reading a few threads on this issue it does not seam like any solutions have been provided effective. 

As context, here is my current setup;

Main Deco;

- ISP Link (POE Injector) (Provider: Xplore (Issues private addresses 192.168.201.X)

- Tp-Link Unmanaged Switch

Tp-Link Unmanaged Switch;

-Smart TV

-NAS (Static Address)

-Mini Server (Static Address) (DNS)

-PC1

-PC2

-CCTV DVR1

-CCTV DVR2

-TP Link Power Extender (Ehernet over Home power Grid)

Secondary Deco;

No Wired Connection

Wi-Fi Only

I've notices that when the Main Deco reboots the light remain RED until I unplugged the Switch for a few seconds until it turns GREEN and I can reconnect the switch, I'm assuming since the ISP is issuing a Private IP address, the Deco does not know what LAN IP to use anymore.

The only thing that comes to mind as of now would be to set my LAN IP to 172.16.4.0 with a MASK of 255.255.255.0 to hopefully always keep the same LAN IP after each reboot. any pointers or suggestions to this possible solution?

Chers & Thank you in advance,

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:LAN IP Keeps Changing after reboots.-Solution
Friday - last edited 4 hours ago

Hi @yves_b,

Thank you for your response, an old router I forgot about was still in Router mode instead of AP mode. Took it offline entirely and it seams good. For now I'll keep my DECOs, but will eventually move to CISCO or Ubiquiti. 

Thank you,

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:LAN IP Keeps Changing after reboots.
Thursday - last edited Friday

@NetLearner 

I assume your Deco is configured to run as a Router, not as an Access Point.  Did you consider running it in Access Point mode?

Are you sure the LAN IP addresses are exclusively distributed by the Deco?  Is there no DHCP server running on something connected to the Tp-Link Unmanaged Switch?  Some devices start acting as a DHCP server when they do not see any active DHCP server.

Do you see the "LAN IP" setting change in the Deco app?

Options
Re:LAN IP Keeps Changing after reboots.-Solution
Friday - last edited 4 hours ago

Hi @yves_b,

Thank you for your response, an old router I forgot about was still in Router mode instead of AP mode. Took it offline entirely and it seams good. For now I'll keep my DECOs, but will eventually move to CISCO or Ubiquiti. 

Thank you,

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 42

Replies: 2

Related Articles