TL-WR802N client mode. DHCP not found

2024-07-16 10:19:09
Model: TL-WR802N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: TL-WR802Nv4_EU_0.9.1_3.17_up_boot[221107-rel40841]

Trying to connect my LAN device to WLAN using client mode of TL-WR802N, Smart IP(DHCP) is selected.

The TL-WR802N itself connects to WLAN, but it cannot find the DHCP, and therefore it does not re-config the LAN port to same subnet as WLAN.

The LAN port stays at 192.168.0.1 if I connect a laptop to this LAN port, the laptop gets 192.168.0.100 as this is the first IP of internal DHCP of TL-WR802N.

The expected behavior would be:

1) Connection to WLAN (ok)

2) Finding DHCP of my WLAN

3) Deactivating internal DHCP, reconfig LAN port to same subnet, giving the connected client access by LAN to my WLAN

4) connected LAN client gets its IP from WLAN DHCP

Done

As point 2) fails, all others fail too. (fails means: log is fully of Discover DHCP service failed!)

If I connect a laptop to same WLAN directly (not using TP-WR802N), the laptop gets the IP from WLAN DHCP. So the DHCP is there.

I suppose that there must be a timeout for detecting DHCP in TL-WR802N which is too short.

For tests, I connected to another WLAN and there it works as expected.

I also tried the 3 available firmware versions, but none did work.

Setting LAN IP to static would work theoretically, but with that I have to set the network settings on my LAN device manually and this is not a solution for me.

Also, changes on network topology is not possible. DHCP behavior cannot be changed.

Long story short:

Is there a way to modify this DHCP discovering?

If not, which of (other) TP-Link device supports also client mode and has another DHCP discovery routine?

Or is there anything I missed?

Thanks for suggestions.

Roger

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WR802N client mode. DHCP not found
2024-07-17 07:29:37

@Roger_P 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

Did you disable DHCP Server after switch into client mode? I failed to find you mentioned this in your post.

DHCP Server - Enable or disable the DHCP server. If disabled, you must have another DHCP server within your network or else you must configure the computer manually

It is suggested to refer to P165-P166 in the User Guide to check your settings.

Options
Re:TL-WR802N client mode. DHCP not found
2024-07-18 08:41:53

@Marvin_S Thanks for your reply.

To deactivate DHCP, I have to set network config to fix IP, not Smart. I tried this way too.

I did deactivate DHCP manually for some tests. With that, the connected laptop doesn't find the DHCP neither. I have to set the laptop's network config manually, with that I am connected  through TL-WR802N to the subnet provided by WLAN access point and from there to all nets. But manually setting of LAN device is no option for me.

Remember: When I connect the laptop directly to WLAN (same as 802N connects to), the laptop finds the DHCP.

In my other test, were I connected to a 'working' environment, I did not have to change DHCP setting, because this was done automatically as soon as DHCP server was found.

When it works it looks like this:

But as said before, in the target WLAN where I want to use TL-WR802N this does not occur, and the log has entries like:

Note: While those messages are logged, the TL-WR802N is connected to WLAN and has received an IP, I can ping it if I connect to this net with another laptop. When opening the IP in a web browser I see a different login screen of TL-WR802N, asking for user AND password. The login screen I normally see, is asking for password only. I cannot login to the user/password site, as I dont know the credentials.

In meanwhile I have tried with a TL-WR902AC, but same behavior with this device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 179

Replies: 2

Related Articles