Disable automatic link speed negotiation in AP mode

2024-07-27 21:38:34 - last edited 2024-07-31 05:44:25
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(4555)

Hi everyone,

I am using a Archer AX55 device as an access point (AP) for my network.

The device works great when it negotiates a 100Mbps link speed with the main router.

From time to time - however - the client negotiates a 10Mbps link speed and when that happens everything slows down.

When working in "router mode" it is possible to set a constant link speed - it is however not possible to do that in AP mode.

Is it possible to somehow set a costant link speed and to disable the automatic negotiation? Why does the AP sometimes negotiates 10Mbps anyway?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Disable automatic link speed negotiation in AP mode
2024-07-31 05:55:29

@kujata 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

Sorry that I am confused about your information. When the router work as access point, how did you test the link speed between your main router and AX55?

10Mbps you mentioned seems to be the link speed between AX55 and your client. If so, did you check link speed on which client? Is it wireless link speed or wired link speed?

We also need the screenshots of your test results to confirm.

For your reference: 

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Options
2024-07-31 07:50:43 - last edited 2024-07-31 07:52:51

@kujata 

Something similar happened to me yesterday when I discovered my NAS connected to one of the AX55’s LAN ports was only showing a 100 Mbps connection instead of the usual 1000 Mbps.  The connections were as follows:

Main Router (different make) --->  AX55  --->  NAS

The AX55 was configured in AP mode (with Wi-Fi off) and therefore only acting as a switch.  I was only using the AX55 this way because it was “left over” from a previous configuration.  While troubleshooting, I wanted to set the affected port to 1000 Mbps and disable the auto-negotiation, but as you stated, it is not possible in AP mode.  As all the AX55 ports were being used, I decided to swap out the AX55 with a TL-SG108E switch, giving me 3 extra ports for the moment.  After the swap, everything returned to normal and, in fact, everything appears to be faster, especially my PC screen.

From my point of view, something is not quite right with the switching functions of the AX55 even though I couldn’t pinpoint the problem.  Later, when monitoring the switch performance, I found a large number of bad packets but it turns out that the number of bad packets is due to the way the switch chipset counts VLAN packets as bad packets.  I changed the main router’s port from a trunk port to an access port and the bad packets problem went away.  I don’t know if perhaps the VLAN packets passing through the AX55 might have caused the link speed to drop or not.

Options
2024-07-31 17:44:51

@Marvin_S 

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am talking about the link speed between the AX55 Access Point and the main router - which is connected to the internet.

I check the link speed via the AP control panel.

With the auto negotiation active, sometimes it negotiates 100Mbps - which is correct - and sometimes it negotiates only 10Mbps (I don't know why).

When in Router Mode, it is possible to disable the automatic negotiation via the advanced settings and to set a fixed link speed.

Kind regards,

Davide

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 183

Replies: 3

Related Articles