Getting lost in Connectivity Diagram

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I am currently on one Wifi router (Sercomm C1AS) from my internet providor.
I am considering installing a mesh internet in the house, 4 bedroom.
4 wifi points should be sufficient.
My issue is to check what method is better to migrate to mesh wifi; I am considering deco M4; I have 750 mbps connection.

Is M4 sufficient? in 5 ghz it should provide my 750mbps , correct?

Connection wise, Is it recommended to keep my current service providor router (Sercomm C1AS) providing wifi, and add the decos in AP? using below diagram:
[ISP Router] ----------- [ switch LGS308 ] ---------------[ Main Deco M4]
                                                              |
                                                              |--------------[ 2nd Deco ]
                                                              |
                                                              |--------------[ 3rd Deco ]
All “ -------- “ are wired cables
Will the ISP Router along with the Deco's all provide Wifi? they share the same ssid? how to check for backhaul compatability for router and switch?

Alternatively :
I disable the wifi on my ISP router and purchase an additional M4 unit, wire them as per below in router mode.

[ISP Router] ----------- [ Main Deco M4 ] --------------- [ switch LGS308 ]
Wifi disabled                                                               |

|

|
                                                                                   |--------------[ 4th Deco ]

In the second alternative scenario, my network management ( parental controls, scheduling, etc...) would be done via the ISP router or Main Deco M4?

In both scenarios do I need a new router or the Linksys LGS 308 would do the job?

Thanks for your support.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Getting lost in Connectivity Diagram
3 weeks ago

@User5465 

Hi, 

Thanks for contacting TP-Link Community.

Deco M4 have 2× Gigabit Ports. Therefore if your internet plan is 750Mbps, it should be able to satisfy your demands. You can check Deco M4 specifications here.

Deco M4 will broadcast a separate Deco WIFI from the ISP router.

If you want only one WIFI in your home, you can disable the WIFI on the ISP router.

If you want to use this topology, the Deco system needs to work in access point mode. How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

[ISP Router] ----------- [ switch LGS308 ] ---------------[ Main Deco M4]
                                                              |
                                                              |

Usually Deco can work with switches. We haven't get feedback that it cannot work with LGS308. If you meet any issue while using, please contact TP-Link Technical Support for help.

And the second topology you provide can also work.

[ISP Router] ----------- [ Main Deco M4 ] --------------- [ switch LGS308 ]
Wifi disabled                                                               |
                                                                                   |
                                                                                   |
                                                                                   |--------------[ 4th Deco ]

If both ISP router and Deco works in router mode, then both of them should have the parental controls, scheduling functions. But in this case you may have double NAT issue.

We are not sure if Linksys LGS 308 can support to set parental controls, scheduling. You may contact Linksys Support for more details about this product.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 88

Replies: 1

Related Articles