Deco M4 Keeps Rebooting - At least 10 times a day !!

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

My deco keeps restarting at least 10 times a day. I have set it up with a wifi router in Access Point Mode.

Wifi Router --> Lan cable  Cat 6 --> Deco Main Hub 

What do I do? I am really irritated and trying to find out the issue.

TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Seamless Roaming and Speedy (AC1200)

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Keeps Rebooting - At least 10 times a day !!
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@McKamzee 

Welcome to the deco random reboot club.

I've been in this club since I bought these Nov 2020 crying

There is no end in sight either, it seems to affect multiple models accross the mesh range.

Support seems unable to resolve the issue.

Really disappointed in tp-link, if I had to do it all over again, or if the time comes to upgrade, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Firmware made no difference,  it rebooted from the day I got it, with 2 different isp's,  different network configurations, router mode directly to ONT, single deco, wired or wireless, AP mode, behind a main router, switched decos, used a new one, changed cabling, changed power supply.

Keeps on randomly rebooting on every version of firmware since 2020, and every config or change I ever tried.

Without knowing exactly what these things are doing,  I can only tell you what I have noticed to help. Seems that the deco's are connecting somewhere to check it they are online, if that fails, they throw a hissy fit and reboot or something. 

Switching to a different dns helps, 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 seems to give best results for me. I also found a definite improvement when I increased my TTL on my ISP connection. 

But non of these completely resolves the issue for me, I got it down to a single reboot every couple of days, but still a really unacceptable state of this product and support unfortunately angry

Options
2 weeks ago

@SolidState 

Thank you for the reply and recommendations.

I know, this is unacceptable. TP Link should acknowledge the issue and push an update to fix it. 

You are right when you quoted "Seems that the deco's are connecting somewhere to check it they are online, if that fails, they throw a hissy fit and reboot or something"

Below is what I found on my ISP router page.

So I shall change the last 2 values to 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 , right?

Options
2 weeks ago
Yes, correct
Options
2 weeks ago
A quick question, does all Deco's have the same issue i.e. TP-Link routers in general? How are the other Wifi 6 Mesh devices?
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@McKamzee 

No personal experience with them, but with my deco M4 experience,  I an very reluctant to purchase anything else from them ...

Search this forum and you'll soon see the trends ...

Options
2 weeks ago

No official response yet - would love to see what the official proposed solution is.

Options