Confused About the Difference Between Ethernet Switches and Ethernet Adapters?

2024-08-28 06:54:59 - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi everyone,

I’m a bit confused about the roles of Ethernet switches and Ethernet adapters in a network setup. I recently upgraded my home network with some TP-Link equipment, but I’m not sure I fully understand when to use a switch versus an adapter.

From what I gather, switches are used to connect multiple devices on a network, but how does that differ from an Ethernet adapter? Are there specific scenarios where one is preferred over the other, especially in a home network?

Any clarification or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Confused About the Difference Between Ethernet Switches and Ethernet Adapters?-Solution
2024-08-29 08:37:35 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@charliekthrn 

You only need the TP-Link Ethernet adapter when there is no RJ45 port, only the USB port on the laptop. Then you can connect the laptop to the Ethernet switch, and later to the router to get an internet connection. They are not "one or the other" relationship.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Confused About the Difference Between Ethernet Switches and Ethernet Adapters?-Solution
2024-08-29 08:37:35 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@charliekthrn 

You only need the TP-Link Ethernet adapter when there is no RJ45 port, only the USB port on the laptop. Then you can connect the laptop to the Ethernet switch, and later to the router to get an internet connection. They are not "one or the other" relationship.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 95

Replies: 1

Related Articles