Assistance with setting up the same SSID across my house

2 weeks ago
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

Hi all,

Seeking some advice and suggestions.  In a couple of months we will be moving to a 2 story home with Fibre to the Premises (We are currently in the same estate in a single story with the same FTTP set-up).  The modem is in the garage and the house is smart wired so I am looking to place 2 TP Link routers - one on each floor.

Currently in my garage where the Home Hub is I have a Netcom Modem/Router provide by my ISP.  This is connected via ethernet cable to the Archer C5400 in my study which provides wi-fi signals for all my devices in the home. The C5400 is in Access Point Mode.

When we move I would like that 2nd TP Link Router on the 2nd floor to use the same SSID.  To facilitate this I obviously need a new router (and am happy to purchase 2 new routers if it makes the job easier for me). 

Which routers are recommended for this?  Are there any that come "preconfigured" so that set-up is easy?  Can I do this given I have the Netcom in the garage acting as my modem?  Am I actually after Access Points and not routers?

If it's all too difficult, I may just set-up different wifi networks on each floor.  I think that would work OK - does anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks for your help

Options
9 Reply
Re:Assistance with setting up the same SSID across my house
2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

Upon further reading I wonder if what I'm after is something like the Deco Mesh X95?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

Hi, 

Generally speaking on my understanding any of the Ax series that supports AP mode should work, 

You could always as said above look at the deco series ( I'm not to familiar with deco as I own 3 AX72 routers)

From my experience with my 3x Ax72 routers my signal in my whole property from down in my mancave all over my ground floor all the way up to my top floor on my 3 story house and beyond is more than covered ( i can still pick up my wifi 200 ft down my road on 5ghz in a heavily conjested area) even with the transmission power turned down to medium. 

My property has lots of thick solid walls and these routers are definitely more than upto the job of putting the wifi around. 

In the pic where the arrow point is next to is my upstairs router, in-between me and that router is 8 houses and I believe another 8 flats and I'm still connected to the 5ghz network.

The way I have my network setup is I have my main router in my kitchen (I have nearly a open plan ground floor) then I have my top floor router on my top floor set in AP mode ( 2 floors up) and my 3rd down the bottom of my garden in my mancave/out house also set up in AP mode. 

I did try easymesh for a while but had issues so went back to this way. 

All my login details from admin and passwords to get into the Web GUI to all my ssid and paswwords ( normal wifi ssid/password to guest wifi ssid/password and IOT SSID/password).

I also setup all the wifi settings the same besides the wifi channels( set to auto) to help minimise channel conflicts and to reduce wifi performance. 

I did it this way as when I'm roaming around my property my devices switch to the stronger signal ( please note some of my devices don't always do this) 

But all I have to remember is one set of passwords making things a whole lot easier plus all my static devices find the stronger signals with the 1 ssid name pick that one and stay with that one. 

My advice would to be try and keep the units as far as possible but to give you adequate coverage that you need. 

I would reccomend the AX72 from my personal experience of owning them 

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

I used to have a similar setup using AX55 routers.  Most (if not all) Tp-Link routers can be used in Wireless Router mode or in Access Point mode.  As you already have your router in AP mode, the simplest approach would be to set up a second router as an AP as well.  You can then use the same SSID on both routers with no problems.  The "roaming" will not necessarily be smooth but that all depends on your devices.  If your Wi-Fi environment is not too congested, you might want to manually set the routers to different Wi-Fi channels.  That's not hard to do and it's done using the web interface of the routers.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Basboi85 

Thanks

Options
2 weeks ago
Thanks
Options
2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will look at those Routers mentioned.  I'm guessing 2 will be enough to cover 2 stories - but I do want it to extend out into my backyard/outdoor area, so I may need to look at the coverage I get / different positions.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

Do you think between these 2 access points (red dots) I'll get good coverage?

My concern is the highlighted area (in yellow).  Feel like I may need two AP's on this Level - one in the Sitting Room or Study and one in the Lounge or Theatre

Options
2 weeks ago

@Anthony_G 

Your layout looks good to me but your coverage will depend on many factors, such as the type and thickness of the walls.  It's probably just a question of trying everything and see how well it works.

Options
a week ago

@jra11500 

yes you're right. Will have to experiment and see what works best.

Thank you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 179

Replies: 9

Related Articles