How to use TL-WDR3600 router as a awitch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-08-15 21:15:57
Region : Others

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TL-WDR3600_V1_130320

ISP : Blizoo

Hello,

I just bought a TL-WDR3600 router and would like to use it in my existing network as a wired/wireless switch.

I have a D-link DIE-635 router with two wired devices; my desktop and a Toshiba e-studio 160 printer via an 8 port lan switch.

The switch has now failed as it is quite old, so I purchased the TL-WDR3600 to replace it in the network as a switch and increase my wireless range.

I have the TL-WDR3600 configured with no DHCP and Lan to Lan wired connection (Wan port empty). and the Toshiba wired to 1 of the 4 ports.

I can not connect to the printer like this and it also does not give me internet access through the wireless.

I have had the TL-WDR3600 configured as : Lan (Dlink) to Wan TL-WDR3600, DHCP enabled, Toshiba connected via wired , port 1.

This gives me internet access via the wireless on the TL-WDR3600 but still no connection to the printer and it is seen as multiple networks on my computer.

I also can't find any way on the TL-WDR3600 to see other devices connected to it (side note)

Can anybody help with advice as to hot to set the TL-WDR3600 as an access point so I only have 1 network (via Dlink) with the TL-WDR3600 as a wired.wireless switch?

Many thanks in advance,
Options
4 Reply
Re:How to use TL-WDR3600 router as a awitch
2013-08-18 15:18:05
Here is the instruction on how to make TP-LINK work as an AP: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417
Options
Guest network stopped working afterwards
2013-09-01 08:54:43
The good part, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to set up. The sad part is that Guest network stopped working. I can see it in the list of networks, but when I try to connect, it goes forever "obtaining IP address" (or "identifying" in Windows). Probably, that's how it should be... Maybe guest network works on a different segment, or it's because DHCP is disabled - in any event, seems like you can have AP/Bridge mode or Guest network - but not both.
Options
Re:How to use TL-WDR3600 router as a awitch
2013-09-03 14:57:29

virshu wrote

The good part, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to set up. The sad part is that Guest network stopped working. I can see it in the list of networks, but when I try to connect, it goes forever "obtaining IP address" (or "identifying" in Windows). Probably, that's how it should be... Maybe guest network works on a different segment, or it's because DHCP is disabled - in any event, seems like you can have AP/Bridge mode or Guest network - but not both.

Have you enabled the "allow access to my local network" on the guest network page? You see guest clients are not allowed to access the local network unless you choose that option.
If you use WDR3600 as a switch, the guest clients have to get Interent through the local network, so you have to enable the "Allow access to my local network" option on the Guest Network.
Options
Accessing the Router (as Switch)
2014-03-12 12:23:23
Hi, I managed to easily configure the TL-WDR3600 as switch. However, after doing so, I cannot log into the admin page via tplinklogin.net. I'd also tried 192.168.0.99 (the LAN setting I'd set) and 192.168.1.1 (original setting), but also failed. May I know how do I access the TL-WDR3600 admin page after configuring it as a switch? Thanks.
Options