Using my own TPLink router instead of ISP router problem with GPON ONT Router Connection

Using my own TPLink router instead of ISP router problem with GPON ONT Router Connection

2 недель назад - last edited 2 недель назад
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Hi guys,

We have a restrictive internet usage policy enforced by some known agencies in my country. One of the top ISPs called Superonline forces us to use their very weak router. They do not provide any information about the configuration and do not help with anything about the connection. They don't allow us to use different routers or change anything. They just want to control the internet. I cannot change the ISP since I have a contract with them and we don't have any good alternatives.

I had been using my own router before they changed the internet infrastructure from FTTB to FTTH.

In my previous configuration in my apartment, an optical cable connected to a switch box was placed in the service room, and a cat-6 cable provided a connection between my router (in my apartment) and that switch box (in the basement). Everything was perfect, and I was able to get 1 Gbps speed (max speed in Turkey) with low latencies. I was able to use my own router by collecting PPPOE data ID and PWD using a virtual PPPOE listening server. Again, they did not provide even my account information, so I had to learn it this way.

Then, they decided to change their system to FTTH and put an ONT device in my apartment. The problem started at that moment. My router cannot connect to the internet, more specifically, it cannot get any IP address.

I don't want to use my router in bridge mode or as an AP, so any help or advice will really be appreciated. Please find the configurations below.

Previous configuration: FTTB - An optical cable connected to a switch and cat-6 cables routed to the apartments.

• Their router: ZTE H3600 V9 (I never used it, just once when the IT guys built the connection the first time)
  • Never cloned MAC, only obtained PPPOE info and logged in with my own router: Archer BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Router

New configuration: FTTH - An optical cable connected to a GPON ONT in my apartment: ZTE ZXHN F601

• A cat-6 connected between the LAN port from ONT to the WAN port of my router.
  • I have no IPTV subscription.
  • They did not change their previous router (ZTE H3600 V9). I checked the PPPOE info again from this router since when I was using this router (for checking purposes), the connection could be secure.
  • Cloned the WAN MAC address of the previous ZTE router, but it did not work.
  • I checked whether the VLAN ID was deactivated or not. It was disabled. The problem here is they also do not provide the VLAN ID for the internet. I was able to learn the VLAN ID (103) only for TV+, which is their IPTV service.
  • I also checked the configuration of the ONT device by assigning a static IP and connecting to the device web configuration. There is some VLAN configuration here but I did not find any specific config for authorization with the router.

So, the questions are:

• Are they using different VLAN IDs now? Most users in my country say to leave the VLAN ID for the internet, but I cannot do this in my TP-Link router web configurator. I think disabling it does the same thing.
  • Are they checking any SN instead of the MAC address of the router? If so, can I clone the SN of the old router to my router? How?

Of note, when I connect my router to the ONT, the LAN indicator is always solid green, which means the connection was established but no data is being transferred.

I have added snaps that show my configuration and log records. Could you please help me to overcome this issue? Thanks in advance!

Options
11 Reply
Re:Using my own TPLink router instead of ISP router problem with GPON ONT Router Connection

@mkfzdmr 

Connect ZTE ZXHN F601 LAN port to BE550 WAN port and set BE550 Internet Connection Type to "Dynamic IP". Test if the internet is working.

If this doesn't work check this article about ZTE ZXHN F601 - <https>://billauer.co.il/blog/2023/08/zte-f601-gpon-ont/

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Using my own TPLink router instead of ISP router problem with GPON ONT Router Connection
2 недель назад

@terziyski Unfortunately it is not working since my ISP using pppoe to connect to the internet. but I tried this nothing changed. Also, note that their useless router uses pppoe to connect ONT

Options
2 недель назад

@mkfzdmr 

Why do I have a feeling that their ONT is not in bridge mode and you can't connect with PPPoE credentials because of that.

You should be able to connect the ONT directly to your TP Link router (Dynamic IP mode) but that will create Double-NAT, probably you will need also the MAC address from the ZTE to be set on TP Link.

Can you do a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and post here the results? Connected to ZTE.

Start - cmd - tracert 8.8.8.8

Options
2 недель назад

@emilionut96 

I'm not sure about the dynamic IP mode. Because the old ZTE router uses PPPoE to build connection. They never changed this as well as there is no option for dynamic IP mode for this router. 

We cannot also change the ONT mode and IDK what mode is in. I set the old ZTE router's MAC address to my TP-Link router by Mac cloning. Nothing changed.

I've also sniffed the lines using wireshark; ONT LAN, old ZTE router WAN, and TPLink WAN. 

ONT did not send any PPPoE trace. 

ZTE router simultaneously  sending PADI (since I was listening to the wan no handshake happened and it kept going to send PADI)

TP-Link router also simultaneously sent 5 PADI packages and sent PADT and then started again 5 PADI as a broadcasting. 

Please find below the traceroute output of the ZTE Router (not ONT)

LF

makif@192 ~ % traceroute 8.8.8.8

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets

1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  4.152 ms  2.319 ms  2.255 ms

2  10.122.0.1 (10.122.0.1)  6.325 ms  6.146 ms  6.033 ms

3  10.36.121.82 (10.36.121.82)  6.974 ms  7.134 ms  6.780 ms

4  172.16.203.128 (172.16.203.128)  6.991 ms  6.896 ms  6.833 ms

5  172.16.213.30 (172.16.213.30)  6.420 ms  5.996 ms  6.640 ms

6  172.16.213.33 (172.16.213.33)  7.048 ms  6.906 ms  6.691 ms

7  172.16.197.75 (172.16.197.75)  7.562 ms  7.318 ms  21.292 ms

8  * * *

9  10.40.182.203 (10.40.182.203)  22.610 ms * *

10  10.40.140.41 (10.40.140.41)  20.857 ms * *

11  * * *

12  10.40.171.174 (10.40.171.174)  26.526 ms  19.520 ms  20.568 ms

13  72.14.197.138 (72.14.197.138)  30.110 ms  28.478 ms  29.029 ms

14  * * *

15  dns.google (8.8.8.8)  32.108 ms  29.066 ms  28.648 ms

makif@192 ~ % 

Options
2 недель назад

@mkfzdmr 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

You may configure your ZTE H3600 V9 to check whether it can get internet access normally (not only getting information from it)?  Then you may use the configuration parameters to  set upTP-Link router.

As for the questions you asked.

VLAN ID is decided by your ISP and your network topology.

SN is useless for any internet configuration.

And as I know, usually for PPPoE connection, the username must be like an email address. From the screenshot you shared, there is no @XXX.com section.

BTW, what is the exact model of your TP-Link router? Archer BE550 or Archer BE9300?

Options
2 недель назад

@Marvin_S 

Hey, thanks for your reply. 

I checked the PPPoE parameters after ZTE H3600 V9 built the connection correctly. Those are my PPPoE account information (username and password) and I am using these to configure my TP-Link router.  So, in my opinion, Dynamic IP is not on the table since the old ZTE router uses PPPoE to connect internet via ONT.

Please take a look at the screenshots once again, my ISP using "XXXX@fiber" format as a username. I am wondering if am I missing something i.e. ONT-router configuration or the ISP checking SN along with the Mac ID, and pppoe info? 

I have a BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Router HW version is V1 and the latest firmware which I think 1.09xx... 

Still seeking advice. 

Options

It seems that you don't have Double-NAT, it means that ONT is in bridge mode and that should be good.

You can try something that worked for me with some ISP from my country.

1. Put your PPPoE credentials and copy MAC address in your TP Link router from ZTE router, after that you can turn the TP Link router off

2. Disconnect ZTE router from ONT

3. Disconnect ONT from power for at least 30 minutes

Keep your TP Link router and ONT for at least 30 minutes disconnected from power...

Before connecting them to power again connect them (ONT -> TP Link).

If it still doesn't work try to keep ONT and TP Link disconnected from power for more time, you can do that at night.

If this doesn't work nothing will work in my opinion, until you find out some new informations.

Options
2 недель назад

@emilionut96 

Hey, thanks for the advice!

I tried this but nothing changed. 

Already filled the PPPoE credentials and MAC address out to my TP-link router.

I left the ONT for more than 8 hours and then connected with ONT - TP Link nothing changed. 

Please check the below post that shows one user's advice in my country, but it did also not fix the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/1f8npmb/seeking_advice_on_pppoe_connection_with_tplink/

So still looking for a possible solution. 

Options
2 недель назад

@mkfzdmr 

To isolate a BE550 issue, you can test building the PPPoE session with a laptop and check if you can access the internet - use this guide.

In this scenario you have to connect your laptop directly to your ONT device LAN port.

If you still can access the internet then the problem is with the PPPoE settings and you should work with your ISP to resolve this.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
неделю назад

@terziyski 

Thanks for the advice!

I've noticed I cannot connect via a direct connection of ZTE ONT to my laptop. I connected the LAN1 port of ONT to the laptop's ethernet port and tried to build a smile PPPoE server using Windows network build settings. But it gives error 651 which means an error somewhere in the configuration. Does it make sense? Also, one user reported he is using the same TP-Link router without any Mac cloning and VLAN settings with the same ISP; and with no issues!!

I checked the PPPoE info once again by hard resetting the old ZTR router configuration and then allowed it to get PPPoE info from the ISP using line, and again uploaded the info to my TP-Link router; nothing changed. I don't think this info is not true. 

One idea if the config is true and the credentials are also true, is there any way they put a public but unknown character to my id or pwd to take further precautions?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 11

Related Articles