VPN Connectivity

VPN Connectivity

VPN Connectivity
VPN Connectivity
2 weeks ago - last edited Saturday
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20240323 rel.70541(5553)

Hello.

I have an AlmaLinux 9.4 server which is running OpenVPN server. The server is running fine and I can connect my Windows machine fine to it using the OPENVPN client Gui software. I have added a static Internal IP to the VPN server 10.8.0.2 and have forwarded 3389 traffic to it using this command :

firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --add-rule ipv4 nat PREROUTING 0 -p tcp --dport 3389 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.8.0.2:3389

This was I am able to access the Windows machine using RDP. In short this is all working as required.

========================================================================

I decided to buy the Archer AC 73 router so that I can install the OpenVPN client on it and achieve the same - The good part is that everything is working as expected, except I am unable to access the RDP.

I am not very technical and did a bit of digging to find (via tracert command) that client machine is sending packets to the local Windows router 192.168.0.1 rather than the VPN gateway router 10.8.0.1 - I beleive this to be the problem - please guide as to why I am unable to access RDP in this setting and is there a workaround to this problem.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VPN Connectivity-Solution
a week ago - last edited Saturday

@Digitek-Intl 

Hi, to assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:VPN Connectivity
2 weeks ago

@Digitek-Intl 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

Can you check whether your PC is connected to 10.8.0.2?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Marvin_S 

When I try to RDP from the WIndows client machine into 10.8.0.2 it fails.

10.8.0.2 is the IP assigned by the OpenVPN server to the WIndows Client PC. When I do a tracert 8.8.8.8 command it connects first to the router IP which is 192.168.0.1 and then to the VPN gateway IP which is 10.8.0.1.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Digitek-Intl 

One more thing when I am opening 10.8.0.2 it is opening the TPLink router login screen.

Options
Re:VPN Connectivity-Solution
a week ago - last edited Saturday

@Digitek-Intl 

Hi, to assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 146

Replies: 4

Related Articles