two routers same network?

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer BE550  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have two routers in my home network. Router1 is my connection to ISP and it also works as a DHCP server to my network. If I want to add wireless network to this solution with be550 is the only solution to set BE550 to AP mode? If I use AP mode I will lose for example VPN server, parental control and many other features. I have tried to keep BE550 also as a router, but there is no possibility to keep it in the same network with rest of the router1 network. With BE550 you can't have lan port and wan port in same ip range. So its not possible to do this with dhcp ip range so that router1 will giwe you first 100 adress and BE550 will give you the rest of the network address. Is there any solutions, so that I can keep BE550 VPN and parental control features and also use shares and other services behind that router1 in same lan?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:two routers same network?-Solution

@buusil 

The only way I can see there being a way around this to continue using your tp link router as a router and not a AP is if your isp router allows it turn off all the isp router functions like dhcp ect. 

I'm not entirely sure you won't end up with a double nat. 

Not sure where your located but here in the UK i can only think of one main isp ( Virgin) that gives you a supplied all in one that will let you turn their unit into a modem only then you can use your own router as a main  ( how my friend has hes set up)either than that all it leaves you with is to the best of my knowledge  is the very limited option to turn off the isp options to somehow make it like a modem only (if options allow it. )  

Some isp you can do away with their units and use your own ( like me, I'm with BT FTTP)

I'm connected via pppoe and it was fairly easy to obtain details online to input on my router, 

Failing that you could speak to your isp depending if you can just use your own they may give you the details like username/password ect 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:two routers same network?-Solution

@buusil 

The only way I can see there being a way around this to continue using your tp link router as a router and not a AP is if your isp router allows it turn off all the isp router functions like dhcp ect. 

I'm not entirely sure you won't end up with a double nat. 

Not sure where your located but here in the UK i can only think of one main isp ( Virgin) that gives you a supplied all in one that will let you turn their unit into a modem only then you can use your own router as a main  ( how my friend has hes set up)either than that all it leaves you with is to the best of my knowledge  is the very limited option to turn off the isp options to somehow make it like a modem only (if options allow it. )  

Some isp you can do away with their units and use your own ( like me, I'm with BT FTTP)

I'm connected via pppoe and it was fairly easy to obtain details online to input on my router, 

Failing that you could speak to your isp depending if you can just use your own they may give you the details like username/password ect 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:two routers same network?
a week ago

@buusil 

Hi, thanks for posting question here. 

I agree on   @Basboi85 's suggestions, which is very useful.yes

May I confirm what kind of main router you have? Is it from your ISP? If it is a modem router, you may set it as bridge mode(pure modem), then set up BE550 as main router.

If it is a wireless router, you may consider to use BE550 to replace it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 76

Replies: 2

Related Articles