How to close port 22

How to close port 22

How to close port 22
How to close port 22
a week ago
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I just logged on to my PC and had a warning from Kaspersky Anti Virus that port 22 on my router is open.  I have not done anything to cause this and am very concerned about it.  I cannot see any way of closing it or to see a list of open ports in my router.  What should I do?  Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:How to close port 22
a week ago - last edited Thursday

@Medric 

Don't worry about that - port 22 has its own purpose for managing the router via Tether app only - details.

Even if you don't use the Tether app, port 22 still would be opened - this is embeded in the router firmware.

Port 22 can't be used to login the router via another SSH client app, so this won't impose any risk for your network security.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
a week ago

@terziyski 

terziyski wrote

@Medric 

Don't worry about that - port 22 has its own purpose for managing the router via Tether app only - details.

Thanks for the reply but I am not using Tether app or any other apps to manage the router and my anti virus had never alerted me to this open port before which may indicate that it has recently opened (or am I missing something?).

Options
Friday

@Medric 

Hi,

Port 22 on the router is open by default for Tether APP. Please do not worry.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Friday

@Sunshine 

Thanks for the reply but as I am not using the Tether app and do not intend to use it I would prefer to close this port as it seems that it is a favourite way of hackers getting in to my system.  can this port be closed?  If not then I will be changing my router for one which is more secure.

Options
Saturday

@Medric 

Hi,

The port 22 cannot be disabled.

But please do not worry. As  @terziyski  has also mentioned, that SSH Services on the TP-Link products are only available for TP-Link apps. Other SSH clients cannot access to TP-Link products or adjust their settings with command lines. So please rest assured that the SSH will never cause any safety issues on your device.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Saturday

@Medric 

I am concerned because three things happened close together.

1. Tuesday morning my second PC which is connected to the router by cable and was working fine Monday evening would not connect to the internet.  A message said that I had to join a network and presented the login page to the router.  Rebooting the router sorted that.

2. My Kaspersky AV reports that port 22 is open on the router.  Something that it has never done before.

3. Yesterday I found an email from one of my email providers saying that my account had been accessed by someone from Texas on Tuesday morning.  My password for that account consisted of 20 characters, a mixture of all types, so I doubt it could of been guessed.

I don't like coincidences and believe that there is a link between all three of these.  

Options
Sunday

@Medric 

I noticed that you've reported current FW version 1.1.3. Archer A7 v5 has a newer FW releases which can be found on its support page - here.

Latest FW release is v1.2.1. Here's how to update your FW manually (Case 1). In its release notes you can see a few bug fixes and a security enhancement.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 7

Related Articles