unable to acess any remote FTP sites

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-08-18 20:40:06
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR1042ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.4 Build 120425 Rel.33749n

ISP : Virgin Media

I have just 'upgraded' to the WR1042ND router

The only configuration done on the router is to set Wireless security to WPA/WPA2 - Personal and set a password - Everthing else is at default - reset to factory defaults and repeated to confirm.

HTTP Web access is fine, but am unable to access any of my external web sites via FTP ( FileZilla) to perform updates.
Filezilla setting are as used with the linksys router - but have tried both Passive and Active transfer as an experiment - but no change

Change the router back to my original LinkSYS WRT54G and all works as expected !

I can't find any settings in the router setup to enable/disable the FTP connection to external site ?

Note : to confirm this is NOT regarding using a local pc or the router as an FTP server but connecting to other external sites via FTP

Any gudiance gratefully received
Options
4 Reply
Re:unable to acess any remote FTP sites
2013-08-18 21:56:32
Choose menu “USB Settings"→FTP Server”
There I can see Internet Access: Enable and Disable in router settings.
Options
2013-08-19 00:18:21
Thanks for responding ....

But that setting seems to be to setting up the router as an FTP server to serve files of your local host PC - I don't want to do that

My problem is that I can't access ANY FTP sites on the internet - I need to acess these to update some web servers which I run

Its a very basic function and I dont' really expect to have to enable it - I would expect to have acess as part of the default settings

But something is stopping it - and sicne it works when I go back to the previous router I assume it must be a router setting / problem with the WR1042 ?
Options
2013-08-19 04:12:13
Jimasek : thanks for responding

However I beieve the setting you refer to is to allow a USB drive (connected to the router) contents to be 'served' to other users via FTP

My need is more basic - i.e to be able to use an FTP client (filezilla) on my PC to access other FTP sites out on the internet - but at the moment when using this router I just get connection 'failed' messages in the FTP client
Swapping the router back to my original linksys unit works - i.e. FileZilla can now access other FTP sites as I used to do

Because it works on the original router,that leads me to think there is an issue with this router or its settings ?
Options
2013-08-22 04:20:51
OK- Not quite sorted yet ...

But going back to basics has helped prove that the WR1042ND is working fine at least when talking to other Public FTP sites such as Mozilla.org

So it looks like I need to go back and have a look at the settings on my own remote FTP server ( running on IIS ) to see if I've got something wrong there ?

Although it is a little odd that the the Linksys has had no problem for a number of years with the current setting

But since I can connect to public FTP sites OK the finger of blame is now pointing at my server
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 4

Related Articles