Does TL-WA901ND V3 - "Universal Repeater" support WPA/WPA2 (AES)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-09-27 23:35:58
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Does TL-WA901ND V3's "Universal Repeater" feature support WPA/WPA2 (AES) security in wireless mode?

Why my TL-WA901NDv3 cannot get the IP address from the primary router?
during configuration, with cable connection, the PC can thru TL-WA901NDv3 verify the primary router's WiFi security,
and able to link to internet.
However, after disconnected the cable, with my PAD, though able to see the WiFi SSID, and the WiFi signal strength
has increase to almost full, but not able to login, stuck at "Obtaining IP.....".
If I off the TP-Link Repeater, the PAD can immediately login into the WiFi, even though with only 2 level signal strength....

have anyone face this problem too? Can share the solution with me? many thanks :)
Options
10 Reply
Re:Does TL-WA901ND V3 - "Universal Repeater" support WPA/WPA2 (AES)
2013-10-15 17:49:00
Hi tpusermsia!

Update the latest firmware in the first place

You mentioned your PAD can see the WIFI SSID with strong signal, but not able to login ---- Does the wifi password prompt pop out ? Or nothing pop out and it just keep showing "Obtaining IP.....".

# If no wifi password inputbox pop out, you need to neglect current wifi profile. (on IPAD, click the blue arrow behind the SSID and click "forget this network".......) Then disable and enable the wifi switch again. Search the SSID and login it.

# If you do input the wifi password but thereafter it keep showing "Obtaining IP.....", you can set a static IP/subnetMask/gateway on your PAD to see if it can work.

Also, as you wonder ,it may just stuck with WPA/WPA2 (AES) security...:(...Use WEP for comparison.

Good luck after all~
Options
2013-10-16 21:37:43

coca koala wrote

Hi tpusermsia!

You mentioned your PAD can see the WIFI SSID with strong signal, but not able to login ---- Does the wifi password prompt pop out ? Or nothing pop out and it just keep showing "Obtaining IP.....".

# If no wifi password inputbox pop out, you need to neglect current wifi profile. (on IPAD, click the blue arrow behind the SSID and click "forget this network".......) Then disable and enable the wifi switch again. Search the SSID and login it.

# If you do input the wifi password but thereafter it keep showing "Obtaining IP.....", you can set a static IP/subnetMask/gateway on your PAD to see if it can work.

Also, as you wonder ,it may just stuck with WPA/WPA2 (AES) security...:(...Use WEP for comparison.

Good luck after all~

i have double checked the wifi password in AP and the PAD, both are correct.
AP wifi password is correct, because with cable connection from AP to the PC, i able to access the web;
and my PAD wifi is correct too, because when I switch off the AP, i able to connect to the Root wifi and
gain access to the web too....
have manually set the PAD ip, set the gateway and match the subnet mask, still fail if go thru AP.
lastly, as you mentioned, when switch to using the primitive WEP encryption, it works.....
this is why in the subject, i am doubtful about this TL-WA901ND V3, does it really able to work in WPA/WPA2 (AES) security as a Repeater....? :confused:
Options
2013-10-17 02:23:17
Does TL-WA901ND V3's "Universal Repeater" feature support WPA/WPA2 (AES) security in wireless mode?

you all ready know the answer to your Q is no.
and a lot of testing to do
1- Client: This mode allows the device to act as a wireless station to enable wired host(s) to
access an AP. this means you wont get wireless only wire internet, so in your case useless.
2.WDS Repeater: In WDS Repeater mode, the AP with WDS enabled will relay data to an
associated root AP. AP function is enabled meanwhile. The wireless repeater relays signal
between its stations and the root AP for greater wireless range. in this case in your ISP (internet service provider) router
no settings but has to have the WDS ability. here is the tuto http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=227
3-and if no go on #2, enable DHCP to your 901, but you have to know what you are doing, if you dont know how, post your ISP router ip, and dns, if
you dont know your dns use Googles
Options
2013-10-17 11:17:01
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WA901ND&version=V3#tbl_j

Have you try other wireless devices like laptops/smart phones besides the PAD to connect the 901?
Furthermore, use WDS repeater other than universal repeater and see if it can eliminate the problem.
Options
2013-10-17 22:31:20
coca koala
on post #1 he asked

on post #2 you did not give tpusermsia‎ an answer to his initial question, and advised to use primitive WEP encryption, that required to change settings on ISP router, and posted to update FW.
on post #5 for the second time suggested FW update and too repeated him to test WDS, something all ready suggested on post #4.
Double suggestions to a member only misleads help, then you ask on same post #5 something he has answered on post #3
Have you try other wireless devices like laptops/smart phones besides the PAD to connect the 901?

its does not matter to tpusermsia if he can connect other devices, his main goal is to connect his PAD.
now that you have a clear view of his needs, address in that direction.
Options
2013-10-18 13:33:19

coca koala wrote

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WA901ND&version=V3#tbl_j

Furthermore, use WDS repeater other than universal repeater and see if it can eliminate the problem.

yes, already updated the firmware....
and tried with Galaxy too... not able to connect still...
i really doubt 901v3 can work as universal Repeater with WPA/WPA2 ... :(
Options
2013-10-18 13:36:56
thanks for your clarification, now my main doubt is
can 901v3 work as Universal Repeater with WPA/WPA2 ..:confused:
Options
2013-10-18 13:39:39

danymarc wrote

coca koala
on post #1 he asked

on post #2 you did not give tpusermsia‎ an answer to his initial question, and advised to use primitive WEP encryption, that required to change settings on ISP router, and posted to update FW.
on post #5 for the second time suggested FW update and too repeated him to test WDS, something all ready suggested on post #4.
Double suggestions to a member only misleads help, then you ask on same post #5 something he has answered on post #3

its does not matter to tpusermsia if he can connect other devices, his main goal is to connect his PAD.
now that you have a clear view of his needs, address in that direction.

thanks for your clarification, now my main doubt is
can 901v3 work as universal Repeater with WPA/WPA2 .. :confused:
Options
2013-10-18 14:52:55
It seems my post had cause some misunderstanding...sorry about that

I didnt advise to use WEP encryption instead---- I meant use WEP for comparison, so we can clarify whether the problem is caused by encryption or IP obtaining issue.(Because it's different between "fail to associate with wifi" and "fail to obtain an IP when connects wifi".) Since tpusermsia has confirm WEP works, and static IP fails, the problem is probably an associate-fail issue due to WPA encryption, which means enabling DHCP on WA901N or setting a static IP makes no difference. ----That is what my first post tried to figure out.

After all:), no hard feelings, I just gather information about the issue and wanna help to figure it out. But now I get the same doubt as tpusermsia too:(
Options
2013-10-18 21:17:31
coca koala posted on #9
which means enabling DHCP on WA901N or setting a static IP makes no difference. ----That is what my first post tried to figure out.
your first post reads

tpusermsia has not confrim applying the suggestions given to change settings in WA901N
enabling DHCP on WA901N
use WDS repeater other than universal repeater

main concern is he still has a doubt that has been answered as you can read on post #8
my main doubt is can 901v3 work as universal Repeater with WPA/WPA2 ..
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1657

Replies: 10

Related Articles