Wired ethernet signal strength

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-09-28 05:42:02
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V8

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Perhaps someone can help. I have a virgin superhub in my house but my main PC is in my office in the garden (around 50ft away). It is hardwired - this is not a wireless issue.
When I introduce the TP Link router (I correctly configure the superhub as a modem first) in the house, my broadband speed in the office drops off from almost 100mb down to around 10mb. I thought it was an issue with the cable but it can't be as the superhub sends the signal down the same cable and provides the full 100mb if I use it has a router. Interestingly it can't be an incorrect setting as if I take the router out to the office (at the end of the 50ft cable) and plug it in (therefore superhub in the house to 50ft cable to office to TP Link) I get the full speed again! I should mention that I have an ethernet switch in the office but I have ruled this out as an issue by adding it and removing it.

My only conclusion is that the tp link isn't sending a powerful enough signal down the long cable. I've read that most routers don't lose signal up to 100mtrs so can't understand what's happening. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any theories? I'm hoping to borrow an alternative router tomorrow to test my theory.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.
Options
2 Reply
Same problem
2014-12-10 03:37:53
I have similar issues with virgin superhub in modem mode.

I have a 150+ mb connection but the TP-link router wont go higher than 70mb. Web pages load a lot slower too. Though I would check here before I returned it for a refund.

I tried alsorts, disabling firewall, features etc

TP-LINK TL-WR840N ver 1 with the latest firmware

*For Peter I managed to replicate the same problem with just 10mb via speedtest but sorted it once I had re-set the quicksetup and cloned macs etc.
Options
Re:Wired ethernet signal strength
2014-12-10 10:20:58
Limited by WR840N's NAT Throughput of WAN to LAN direction, the speed cannot be 150+.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=465
Options