Connection problem with Windows 8.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-10-23 00:38:34
Region : Denmark

Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.14.4 Build 130313 Rel.63007n

ISP :

Does anyone have any idea about this:

After upgrading a laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 it can no longer get network connection through the TL-WA850RE range extender. It makes the WiFi connection, it gets a valid IP address and gateway from the DHCP in the main router (D-Link DIR-655), but it just don't work. It cannot communicate with my internal network nor does it have any Internet connectivity. If I make sure the laptop connects directly to the router WiFi everything works fine. But when it connects to the range extender no connection.

The laptop has worked fine in the exact same setup just before the update (it actually downloaded the 8.1 update through that connection). Our other WiFi devices which counts 3 different Android devices are still working through the RE.

I have tried restarting both the router, the RE and the laptop several times. I have deleted the WiFi connection in the laptop (command prompt needed for that in Windows 8.1, thank you very much Microsoft..!) and re-entered WPA passkey etc. upon reconnection. I'm kinda running out of ideas...
Options
8 Reply
Re:Connection problem with Windows 8.1
2013-10-30 03:16:35
Just saw there was a newer firmware so has now updated to 3.14.8. But the problem still exist.

Are there no-one out there having similar problems or any idea what to do about it?
Options
2013-11-06 07:48:30
I'm having the same problem. Mine's the TL-WPA281 Wireless N powerline extender.
Options
2013-11-09 07:14:45
C/P from other forum
1-if you use VIPRE Internet Security disable firewall and active protection.
2-Don't know if this is your case but I see many user having problem with Virtual Box and Windows 8.1 because of the driver installed by Virtual Box to share the networks connection slow all network ( wifi and Cable ).
Options
I have the same problem ...
2013-11-09 17:28:04
I also am having the same problem with the TL-WA850RE and my wireless access point router and Windows 8.1

When my Windows 8.1 laptop is connecting via the wireless access point, everything is fine. When the laptop is connecting via the range extender, Windows 8.1 is *not* categorising the network as "private" (e.g., home) network. This means Windows 8.1 bolts down a number of features (like filesharing etc.).

My current workaround is to unplug the range extender as my laptop is next to useless if it connects via the range extender.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Matt
Options
2013-12-04 08:49:22
Well the problem isn't really with the range extender, but my guess is that none if you have connected the device trough wds to the main router.
Also the pincode WDS is hackable, but the button method isn't if someone was wondering.

But the reason is that if the ap isn't connected trough wds the bssid of the known private networks doesn't match the one of the ap, only from the main router.

If there is still a problem with it, you can also opt as last resort to give the AP a different ssid (network name) and add that to windows 8 as well.
Also make sure you do use wpa2 encryption, windows does vista and up does have some weird side effects sometimes with a lower encryption.

p.s. Also make sure you have the latest version of the firmware, it does also have some nice bug fixes.
Options
TL-WA901ND and Windows 8.1
2014-02-02 02:23:46

Jakob_A wrote

Just saw there was a newer firmware so has now updated to 3.14.8. But the problem still exist.

Are there no-one out there having similar problems or any idea what to do about it?

Hello Jakob_A.

I have similar problems with TL-WA901ND wireless access point being used with Windows 8.1 on a machine with a Broadcom 802.11n network adapter. The router is a Technicolor 582n (also tried Thomson TG585v7) and ISP is PlusNet. Latest firmware on all.

The Windows 8.1 laptop will work correctly direct to the Technicolor router on wifi. It will also work correctly through a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point instead of the TL-WA901ND.

Android, Windows XP and Windows 7 devices will work correctly through the TL-WA901ND.

The problem seems to be the combination of Windows 8.1, the TL-WA901ND and possibly the Technicolor/Thomson router.

I have tried manual and auto DNS settings and various other things.

I have noticed that it is possible to ‘ping’ a numeric IP address from the diagnostics control panel on the TL-WA901ND, but it is not possible to ‘ping’ a domain name, eg google.com (with or without www prefix). This suggests that the TL-WA901ND cannot find the DNS server.

Grateful for your suggestions if you solved this.
Options
2014-10-30 20:45:47
Hello All:

No need to say that I'm too facing the same situation here...

What I noticed strange is that, when I switch OFF the Extender and Win 8.1 Laptop connects to Main Router, the assigned IP address is 192.168.1.xxx

And I Switch ON the Extender, the IP Address RESETs to 192.168.0.xxx

Both assigned by DHCP...

Any thoughts?...

Any solutions to the problem...

Thanks,
Options
2014-10-31 10:11:31
Upgrade the latest firmware first. Reconfigure it. From your description, it seems that DHCP of the extender is still on for some reason.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=691
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1162

Replies: 8

Related Articles