[Fix] Upgrade wa850re v1.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-12-04 08:03:46
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V1.0

Firmware Version : V1.0_121119

There seems to be a slight issue with the hardware id that was put into the firmware V1.0_121119.
After looking trough the firmware updates, I slightly changed the firmware version V1.20_130922 to make it flashable to the V1.0 device with firmware version V1.0_121119.

There are two firmware images to try out, one will work and the other doesn't (this is due to slight variation in hardware id). If you choose the one that doesn't work you are simply presented with the 1805 error and you can try the other one. (It will not damage the device).

download 1: firmware to fix wa850 hwid08500011 v1.0
download 2: firmware to fix wa850 hwid85000011 v1.0

After you have upgraded to the (custom) firmware, you can upgrade again if needed with the tp-link (default) firmware.
Only custom part is the header of the image. (firmware itself is identical to the firmware downloaded trough tp-link).
Options
11 Reply
Re:[Fix] Upgrade wa850re v1.0
2013-12-04 17:24:28
tried but failed finally, at first the firmware was upgraded successfully, but after a while, crashed, the power light won't on ever....
Options
2013-12-04 18:09:50

watcherman wrote

tried but failed finally, at first the firmware was upgraded successfully, but after a while, crashed, the power light won't on ever....

Well that is strange, since the power led is hardwired to the power supply in the device. So even without functioning firmware it should turn on.
In this case I would go for an RMA if the power light doesn't turn on at all. That's an hardware fault for sure.

Also some others also have tried this (posted this solution on a Dutch and the OpenWrt forum as well).

And I'm sure of it since I voided my warranty for sure on one device ;)

Photo album
Options
2013-12-05 05:50:24
Watcherman read original post from FriedZombie, and you will understand why you bricked your RE read here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=46859 FriedZombie bricked one too.
c/p from FriedZombie post
Seems my previous statement was also incorrect thoug, all v1.x devices are the same. Only I didn't originally have the latest firmware version from tp-link. So my guess would be that there is a newer u-boot is installed.
Options
2013-12-05 08:53:11
Well bricked two in total actually with attempting to put openwrt on it, But before I offered the slightly modified firmware for the wa850.
I did first varify, if the u-boot whre the same. Also the firmware is only flashable when the problematic firmware was loaded in the first place.

Also if there was a chance there was something wrong, I would have taken the images offline.
However the powerled will not come on anymore either, but that led is hardwired into the powersupply of the device. So when the firmware has caused a brick it still would light no matter what.

Also there is a mention of after a while it crashed, if it is an incompatibility (in this case). It would crash directly and not work for some time before it crashes.

And also I did say my guess, but it doesn't seem to matter thoug. Tried various combinations by now without bothering to upgrade the wa850 first. (I got a few).
Options
2014-01-14 14:19:21
any unofficial firmware maybe damage the devices, if damaged, you can't get warranty from TP-LINK , because any third-party firmware is unapproved, you have to assume any consequences by yourself.
Options
2014-01-14 20:05:55

cake wrote

any unofficial firmware maybe damage the devices, if damaged, you can't get warranty from TP-LINK , because any third-party firmware is unapproved, you have to assume any consequences by yourself.

Cake do you own a TL-WA850RE to post this statment, cause if so, 850 is a pain like 730, 830, 750, 901, 743, 740 & 741 Ver. 1,2 and 3, if you own a 850 for sure you have it unplugged or your 850 is in its box, by your post sems you dont do DD-WRT or OpenWrt, once you flash your device and discover what you where missing, you will never use again stock FW, FriedZombie its and active memeber of OpenWrt forum, and has helped many to solve issues, he has the will and the knowledge, do you think owners stuck with one of these units cares about warranty ask yourself why never a Tech from TL jumps into the forum like they do at UBNT forum, simple, they wont know what to answer it will be a hurricane of complaints, have you ever mail or called TL support, and had listen to the silly answers they give you.
Options
2014-01-15 12:45:01
Cake Everything here it's at your own risk, if anyone flashes any device no one has to remind no one, you have to read and inform yourself what you are get in to, OpenWrt its no baby networking.
Would love to see a screen of your 850 Status/System Up Time
Cake January 15-2014 waiting for the screen of your 850 Status/System Up Time
Options
2014-01-15 12:51:20
Everything here it's at your own risk, if anyone flashes any device no one has to remind no one, you have to read and inform yourself what you are get in to, OpenWrt is no baby networking.
Options
2014-01-17 08:14:30
Cake wrote; people who know nothing about the firmware

Cake dont qualify people, to know nothing, that is offensive, just use logic, who ever upgrades a TL FW its smart, and all the people that you just disqualify, know a lot more than read and write.
you will never use again

i remind you that you are just a member like me in this forum, dont suggest people how to write, think, or behave, there is a Administrator in the forum, feel free to report me.
i will try to get it later

Cake
really, really waiting for your screen of the status page of your one and only wa850re v1.0,
i pointed with a red arrow the part im interested, by your post for sure its going to say more than 90 days, please no Photoshop.
one like this, Regards

sube fotos
Options
2014-01-28 06:42:35

cake wrote

any unofficial firmware maybe damage the devices, if damaged, you can't get warranty from TP-LINK

The funny thing is that the binary is the official firmware only with a slightly different header ;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2576

Replies: 11