Can't log on to WR841N after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-04 01:37:49
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V7

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi I hope that someone here can help me. I was having some difficulties accessing my WIFI in some areas of my house so, as part of my experimentation, I updated my firmware to see if that would make any difference. The file that I used was wr841nv7_en_3_13_9_up(120201).bin which, as far as I can tell, is the correct firmware.

My router and network still work, however, I can no longer log on to the page that configures the router.

Previously, the address for accessing my router settings was 192.168.50.2. Now when I try that, my browser doesn't access the page and eventually times out.

I have tried using IPCONFIG to find the ip address of my router. It tells me that the default gateway is 192.168.50.1. If I enter that, I get prompted for a password. However, the password dialogue says:

"A user name and password are being requested by http://192.168.50.1. The site says "www.repeatit.se"

and that "repeatit.se" doesn't seem right to me. Also, when I try the default username and password of "admin" "admin" (which is what my router was set to before the upgrade) it doesn't give me access.

I have also tried other suggestions of ip addresses with no joy. e.g. 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1

So, basically the problem is that I have updated my firmware and can no longer access the configuration pages for my router. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can't log on to WR841N after firmware update
2014-01-04 18:46:18
Good news. After many restarts, retries and resets, I finally managed to get the problem resolved.

I'm not entirely sure how but running the windows 7 diagnostic tools with the internet cable unplugged from the router allowed things to be reset and let me in to the setup pages for the router. Once there, I was able to configure things as I wanted with a suitable ip address, password and so on.

What's even better, even though I didn't really expect it to make much difference, the firmware upgrade does in fact seem to have improved the blackspot problem I was having in part of my house and I am now able to connect reliably with my laptop in the room where the problems were.
Options
Re:Can't log on to WR841N after firmware update
2014-01-10 21:58:12
Try connecting your router to the back of your PC directly with the Ethernet cable to configure settings instead of trying to connect wirelessly

This just happened to me also , I had to reset (not reboot) my router. This brings all the settings back to default. It was the only way I could get back in the administration console of the router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2739

Replies: 2