Problem connecting android devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-05 23:45:44
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I've successfully installed my wifi extender, and my laptop and android tablet connect to it without any issues. However, I have 2 other android devices that cannot connect. They connect for a second and then the connection drops. I tried enabling DHCP, reserving IP addresses on the repeater and forcing IP addresses on the devices, but nothing seemed to work. Then I tried an app called Wifi Static, which forces the connection to the repeater, but then I have no internet access. Those android devices have no issues connecting to the router in my house, but still I tried changing it to 802.11b/g and rebooting all devices, but that didn't help either. I assume my router is properly configured, since I never had any issues with it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Options
8 Reply
Re:Problem connecting android devices
2014-01-07 02:33:53
I've read about that phenomenon of some Androids having trouble in mixed WPA/WPA2 mode a couple of times now. As you described, people solved it by using either WPA or WPA2 (or even WEP).
Google the issue you will find lots of info.
Options
2014-01-07 02:46:09
Hi, I understand that but that's the mode I have on my router, and it works. Even so, I did try all different condigurations available on the repeater, except for WEP, and nothing worked.

After a few hours of reconfiguring, I finally managed to connect with one of the android devices, but a couple of hours later it wasn't working anymore. I'm probably going to return the repeater to the seller and try something else. This one has terrible configuration menus and I'm staring to feel that it's not so good, and maybe not even compatible with my router.

Thanks for your reply :)
Options
2014-01-07 03:31:54
What is your main router? What kind of settings do you have in DHCP on this router?
Options
2014-01-07 03:45:36
My router is the ISP's, it's a*Hitron BVW3653. The DHCP settings are enabled, the router and repeater are on the same pool,... I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "kind of settings", can you elaborate?

The router serves 2 different wireless networks: the residential one and the Fon one. Using WPS, the repeater connects without any issue to the Fon network, which is unprotected. I tried to disable it to connect to the residential one with WPS, but it doesn't connect. This sounds fishy to me, could the security settings on the router be causing this?

Thanks ;)
Options
2014-01-07 03:54:52
it's a*Hitron BVW3653

I don't know this model ;)

"kind of settings", can you elaborate?

I thought about full DHCP settings with gateway, DNS, because sometimes TP-link has problem with this.

Do you have Universal Repeater mode on TP-link?
Options
2014-01-07 04:05:49
I had never heard of that brand either, but I'm stuck with it. I have no complaints though...

I had DHCP enabled on the repeater, and then disabled. Didn't make much difference. I left it disabled, allowing the router to assign IPs to all devices in the network.

The repeater is on universal repeater mode, as it's useless for me as an AP :) I gave an IP within the pool I allowed on the router, and set the gateway to the router's IP address.

Out of curiosity, when I had DHCP enabled on the repeater, although I was forcing the android device to use an IP in the repeater's pool, and outside the router's pool, it was still connecting to the router. I don't know much about networks, but this doesn't make much sense... does it?
Options
2014-01-07 07:21:42
After a few hours of reconfiguring, I finally managed to connect with one of the android devices, but a couple of hours later it wasn't working anymore.

TL-WA901ND has a habit of dropping devices read post #16 here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2745-AP-drops-connection/page2 i advice you read all the post, by now you know what you have in your hands, and reading all the post you will understand, you have 2 issues now, the Andorid and the drops.
curiosity, when I had DHCP enabled on the repeater

first wrong answer TL Techs suggest when you ask ENABLE DHCP , and the other answer they give you, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE 2 DHCPs ON A NETWORK, the answers they give are as is suits to them.
I have only see TL-WA901ND work 100% on third party firmware such as DD-WRT, OpenWrt, Gargoyle etc.
it's a*Hitron BVW3653

Cable company in Mexico started to use this brand 2 months ago, scince installed at my cousins home, no issues.
Options
2014-01-07 17:24:27
Hey again,

I read the thread, and I'm definitely returning it to the seller. I have a friend who bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE, he has the same router as I, and his connection drops very often. I'm not comfortable changing the firmware to a third party (I updated to the latest provided by TP-Link, though), and having to do that makes it sound like the company really doesn't care about the quality of their products. I'm going to give D-Link a try (15-day return policy works great in Portugal), if I have the same issues I'll decide how much I want to spend to get a decent wifi coverage at home...

Thank you all :) Have a great week!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3286

Replies: 8

Related Articles