WR702N not respecting its DHCP settings?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-17 05:53:37
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR702N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 131211

ISP :

I have just bought a WR702N which can be used as an AP, Router, Repeater or Bridge.

I cannot get it to work as I expect. I want to use it to extend a wireless network into a corner where the signal doesn't reach. I believe I can use either Repeater or Bridge for this.

I have tried both modes and have set it up each time with the same SSID, password, channel etc of my main router/AP, as described in the manual, via the setup wizard. Wireless devices, e.g. an iPad, then roam transparently between the main router and the WR720N, and they keep the same IP address etc when roaming.

However, if the iPad is switched on while in range of the WR702N (or is told to renew its lease), it gets an IP address assigned by the WR702N, not by my main router, and the iPad's network settings show the address of the WR702N as router and DNS server, not my main router as I would expect. I can then no longer access the internet on the iPad.

This is even though I have disabled the DHCP Server on the WR702N. The IP address that gets allocated is the starting address shown in the DHCP settings on the WR702N even though it's not supposed to be acting as a DHCP server.

Furthermore, the WR702N does not get an IP address from my main router if I turn on Smart IP. I have even reserved an address for it in the DHCP settings of my main router. The IP address assigned is the one that is shown in the WR702N's box for Static IP, even though Static IP is turned off and it should be getting it from the network's own DHCP server.

My main router cannot see the WR702N. I can only access its web configuration from the iPad when it has roamed to it or from a PC when connected directly to the WR702N via a LAN cable and not via the main network.

It is like the WR702N is always behaving as a router itself and sets up a subnet of its own, and ignores the fact that I've told it not to use DHCP or act as a router.

The unit came with the V1_130528 firmware and to try and solve these issues I have upgraded it to V1_131211_beta but the same problems exist.

Or have I misunderstood how it is supposed to work? Since everything is fine when a wireless device attaches to the main router first and then roams to the WR702N, is that how it is supposed to work but gets a subnet of its own if it attaches to the WR702N first?

I have set everything up on the correct subnet I think, i.e. 192.168.1.x. I have reserved 192.168.1.97 for the WR702N in my main router but when Smart IP is turned on it gets 192.168.1.98 which is the address I initially put in for Static IP in order to configure it. The iPad gets 192.168.1.3 when connected to my main router which is the start address I've configured there, but gets 192.168.1.100 from the WR702N even if DHCP is disabled or the settings are greyed out.

I'm confused!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 0

Related Articles