TL-WA901ND creating duplicate SSID instead of forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-18 21:21:30
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 3.14.8 Build 130828 Rel.63678n

ISP :

Hi, I have a Linksys router connected to my cable modem downstairs and have an Ethernet LAN around the house. I installed a switch upstairs in a wifi blackspot area and connected it to the network via Ethernet. The TL-WA901ND is positioned upstairs and connected to the switch via Ethernet.

I setup the TL-WA901ND to run in Universal Repeater mode, ran Survey, clicked on my SSID (JCLM) and entered the network password for the JCLM network. The TL-WA901ND network SSID comes up on my devices as JCLM 2. When I connect to JCLM 2 network upstairs, signal is very strong but my problem is when I come back downstairs, it does not automatically transfer to the JCLM network. I have to manually disconnect from JCLM 2 and connect to JCLM network each time.

How can I set this up to show only a single JCLM SSID and to automatically transfer between both access points depending on strength of signal?

Here's the version info from the System Tools section of the TL-WA901ND:
Firmware Version:
3.14.8 Build 130828 Rel.63678n

Hardware Version:
WA901ND v3 00000000
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND creating duplicate SSID instead of forwarding
2014-01-18 23:18:16
The TL-WA901ND is positioned upstairs and connected to the switch via Ethernet.
I setup the TL-WA901ND to run in Universal Repeater

How is that possible, connected to a switch on UR mode, UR mode is wireless, thats the purpouse, just unplug it might need a reboot and will work.
UR mode has a 50% or more data rate penalty, plug Ethernet and use AP mode same SSID same password of your Network.
The only device that does zero handoff or roaming its the UNIFI from UBMT read here http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Frequently-Asked-Questions/UniFi-What-is-Zero-Handoff/ta-p/412719
Options
Re:TL-WA901ND creating duplicate SSID instead of forwarding
2014-01-19 02:05:16
Hi, it might well be that I'm using the wrong mode then? My understanding was that in Universal Repeater mode, it was effectively using the LAN from the main router/AP to the part of the house with poor signal. The TL-WA901ND setup in Universal Repeater mode would then transmit the signal to that part of the house. Communication between wireless devices and the internet would not be entirely wireless, but rather would be wireless between the device and the TL-WA901ND, which then sends the signal over Ethernet cable back to the router which then connects to the internet via the cable modem. My understanding was that using the Ethernet cable rather to feed the TL-WA90ND rather than it connecting wirelessly to the main router would prevent the 50% throughput reduction associated with using a repeater in purely wireless mode. Network tests on the TL-WA901ND show pings of around 15ms and download speeds of around 60MBps, vs. 70Mbps on the main router's SSID, so not a major drop-off. If I could just get it to use a single SSID and automatically transfer between networks as devices move about the house, that would be perfect.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 677

Replies: 2