TL-WA830RE Extender Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-22 16:44:14
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi All,

here's wishing you all the best of this new year.

I recently decided to use TP Link for a job and it give me a lot of issues.
I finally got to this forum, read a couple of threads and eventually got the network up and running plus a quite stable internet access now.
I do have a little problem that is still unsolved though.

Equipments i have :
1 Huawei modem/router
3 wa830re range extenders
1 wa701nd access point.

what i have done:
i managed to connect all tp link devices to extend from the huawei router and they all worked fine.
then i did a factory reset because i have to configure them from the locations each device has to be place.
2 of the wa830re are extending from the huawei router and they work fine.
the wa701nd is hooked up to one of the wa830re and this works as well.
my problem now is with the remaining wa830re. from it's location, i can't hook it up to the huawei router due to poor / unstable signal strenght.
so, i'm trying to to hook it up to on of the other wa830re that has a better signal strenght in it's location and i'm already growing gray hairs over this.
the device just won't extend ! does this by any chance mean one wa830re cannot extend from another wa830re ?

i did uncheck WMM and short GI on all the devices as suggested by someone on here (thanks !).
set all devices on static IP, turned off DHCP (the router handles this) and enabled Ping Watchdog.
is there something i'm forgetting to do please ? i'm really stuck at the moment.

you prompt responses will be really appreciated please.

i might have gone against some rules, i do indulge the admins' / moderators' pardon.

Best regards,
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WA830RE Extender Problems
2014-01-22 18:24:13
the wa701nd is hooked up to one of the wa830re and this works as well.
Elaborate,
1-hooked, wire or wireless.
2-why you need to hooked, and how far hooked from 830
my problem now is with the remaining wa830re. from it's location, i can't hook it up to the huawei router due to poor / unstable signal strenght.
A draw or sketch of your scenario will help, when I read from it's location, you live there, you know the area, we don't, distances, same floor or not etc.
does this by any chance mean one wa830re cannot extend from another wa830re ?
Yes it's possible, you might be violating the distance between 830s seeing good signal means nothing on extenders. get closer to it and set it up, use WPS tuto here http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=566 and too read http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=26
enabled Ping Watchdog
disable it, useless in this devices, on your network topology could carry more trouble
i might have gone against some rules, i do indulge the admins' / moderators' pardon.
This is a forum, not government, you are welcome to post your issues.
Options
2014-01-22 19:04:07
Thanks a lot danymarc for getting back so soon. i appreciate.

1-hooked, wire or wireless.

all my connections are wireless. "hooked" is just a term we use around here some times.

2-why you need to hooked, and how far hooked from 830

the 701 is extending from the 830. they are about 6 meters apart and it's also a wireless connection.

A draw or sketch of your scenario will help, when I read from it's location, you live there, you know the area, we don't, distances, same floor or not etc.

i really can give a sketch now but lemme try explaining better.
there are 2 830s, one is on the first floor, the other is on the ground floor. both devices are hung close to the staircase and they should be about 3 meters apart.
the 830 on the first floor is repeating from the huawei router and it's working fine. the other 830 on the ground floor, i want to repeat from the 830 on the first floor.
i tried configuring it from the same room and i couldn't still get it to repeat from the other 830.
i will try WPS later today as i didn't do that previous. i actually have WPS disabled on the network. i would appreciate any other suggestions i can get though.

disable it, useless in this devices, on your network topology could carry more trouble

ok thanks, i will do that.

This is a forum, not government, you are welcome to post your issues.

thank you, again.
Options
2014-01-22 21:41:46
"hooked" is just a term we use around here

i have no issues with terms, those are at your free will, i needed to understand the way you hook, you have answered, wireless
the 701 is extending from the 830. they are about 6 meters apart

too close to hook next extender, if those are your needs just use dif channels, 6 meters if possible hook by Ethernet cable to the 830 port, set 701mode as AP, same SSID and pass of your network
i will try WPS later today

WPS its a TL tool, works best disable, i suggest to enable it to rule out 830 hardware issues, once it associates dissable it, use this guide to associate http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=250 before you start, write down the MAC of the 830 you want to associate example 00-0A-EB-08-30-01 you find it in Status, or Network, step #3 click Search or Survey, step #4 Find the root router’s SSID on the AP list, and then click Connect. meka sure you connect to the Mac of the 830 you want to associate, because you are repeating a lot in your network you will find your network
SSID more thatn once.

You have too many devices close together, do you really need that many
Options
2014-01-24 01:11:33
too close to hook next extender, if those are your needs just use dif channels, 6 meters if possible hook by Ethernet cable to the 830 port, set 701mode as AP, same SSID and pass of your network

these devices are installed in a hotel premises and both repeaters are not actually in the same building structure. plus, the owner of the facility is strictly against throwing cables around.

WPS its a TL tool, works best disable, i suggest to enable it to rule out 830 hardware issues, once it associates dissable it, use this guide to associate http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=250 before you start, write down the MAC of the 830 you want to associate example 00-0A-EB-08-30-01 you find it in Status, or Network, step #3 click Search or Survey, step #4 Find the root router’s SSID on the AP list, and then click Connect. meka sure you connect to the Mac of the 830 you want to associate, because you are repeating a lot in your network you will find your network
SSID more thatn once.

i did try this but it still didn't work :(

You have too many devices close together, do you really need that many

like i said, it's a hotel and you would understand there are a lot of closed doors.

thanks again.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1005

Replies: 4

Related Articles