tplinkextender.net shows as Framer.DO.229 virus (Avira)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-30 03:47:54
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.2

ISP :

Firstly I must say the setup instructions are overly complicated and don't explain things in a fully sequenced foolproof way. I'm an experienced computer and network user and I notice lots of potential for confusion of what essentially is a simple process, but that's not why I'm writing here.

On first setting up the WA850RE, my instinct was to plug this device into my network (a switched hub) and try and find the admin console. I typed in tplinkextender.net into a web browser and immediately I'm given a virus warning by Avira Internet Security, it says the HTML/Framer.DO.229 (discovered on May 6th 2013) is present on the (external) web page I got to. Foolishly trusting TP-Link, I allowed the page but my suspicions are that this is some dodgy advertising page full of links. This page ( http://www.avira.com/en/support-threats-summary/tid/8049/tlang/en) says the virus is a redirect to an infected website, so maybe this is what I'm seeing?

Realising maybe that I shouldn't have plugged the device into my network hub, and not wanting to muck up one of my Windows computer's network settings by plugging the device directly into it instead of my normal network, I plugged it into a Mac laptop which then automatically took me to the admin login of the device. I then hit Next of the quick setup routine, typed in my wifi key and the device set itself up and works just fine in it's new location upstairs.

Wanting to now check the settings the WA850RE has used and other things such as the firmware version, change passwords, etc, I am no longer able to talk to the device through the network! If I type in the tplinkextender.net address I'm just taken to the dodgy looking external website and there seems to be no other way into the device.

Any suggestions as to what's going on? Is the external weblink infected and have I now infected my computers/network? And how can I talk to the device in its new location?
Options
12 Reply
Re:tplinkextender.net shows as Framer.DO.229 virus (Avira)
2013-05-31 01:54:13
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=14
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=173
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=287
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=362
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=250
need to read thie guides, dont use tplinkextender.net use the IP of your RE (repeater) 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.254
the reason you have trouble to log its cause you dont set up TCP/IP propeties on your lap
Options
2013-06-07 19:23:14
Thanks for the reply dannymarc - I only just found this reply, it would be useful if this forum automatically let me know of replies, I cannot find a setting for it anywhere!

I looked at the articles you mentioned but that wasn't the issue or solution really. For whatever reason, I couldn't use those IP's to log in to the device. My network address uses a different 192.168.yyy.x for the y part so maybe that's why? I why on earth don't they mention those IP's in the instructions, just the tplinkextender.net address which once connected via the device just takes one through to the dodgy external website!

In the end the solution was easy. I unplugged the device plugged the device from the power, turned off the Mac's WiFi and then plugged the device back into the power and used the direct network cable connection. Typed in the tplinkextender.net address into the browser and I could log in with admin/admin. Then I could get to the extra settings: First, changed the network settings to Static, added in a suitable IP address (one that I also set as static in my router) and pointed the device at my Gateway. Simple - why on earth couldn't they have said or suggested such in the instructions.

While I was in the configuration I was then able to change the username and password, turn off WPS (hhy don't they suggest those security things in the instructions). Oh, and update the firmware which wiped all my settings so had to set things again. No big deal but no warning of that in the instructions.

Now that it's all set up properly, it seems to seamlessly do the job; my network is extended, but why oh why are the instructions so bad???

And still no explanation from anyone about the dodgy external site (with Avira telling me it's infected) that one gets to at tplinkextender.net when one attempts to type that address into a browser when linked to the internet.

A crazy system and let down by poor and confusing instructions and unnecessary process, and what's with the dodgy external link to log in to the device which can't be done once the device is set up?
Options
tplinkextender.net virus
2013-06-07 20:32:51

mrartist wrote

Thanks for the reply dannymarc - I only just found this reply, it would be useful if this forum automatically let me know of replies, I cannot find a setting for it anywhere!

I looked at the articles you mentioned but that wasn't the issue or solution really. For whatever reason, I couldn't use those IP's to log in to the device. My network address uses a different 192.168.yyy.x for the y part so maybe that's why? I why on earth don't they mention those IP's in the instructions, just the tplinkextender.net address which once connected via the device just takes one through to the dodgy external website!

In the end the solution was easy. I unplugged the device plugged the device from the power, turned off the Mac's WiFi and then plugged the device back into the power and used the direct network cable connection. Typed in the tplinkextender.net address into the browser and I could log in with admin/admin. Then I could get to the extra settings: First, changed the network settings to Static, added in a suitable IP address (one that I also set as static in my router) and pointed the device at my Gateway. Simple - why on earth couldn't they have said or suggested such in the instructions.

While I was in the configuration I was then able to change the username and password, turn off WPS (hhy don't they suggest those security things in the instructions). Oh, and update the firmware which wiped all my settings so had to set things again. No big deal but no warning of that in the instructions.

Now that it's all set up properly, it seems to seamlessly do the job; my network is extended, but why oh why are the instructions so bad???

And still no explanation from anyone about the dodgy external site (with Avira telling me it's infected) that one gets to at tplinkextender.net when one attempts to type that address into a browser when linked to the internet.

A crazy system and let down by poor and confusing instructions and unnecessary process, and what's with the dodgy external link to log in to the device which can't be done once the device is set up?

tplinkextender.net certainly seems to be hijacked. I helped a friend install the TL-WA850RE and had a similar problem. I get a page full of ads about wifi, range extenders etc. The "funny" thing is that the URL is tplinkextender.net and there is a big header saying tplinkextender.net! But this is not really why I post. More about that in a different post.

The router is TPLINK TL-WR841N. In the routers admin interface you can see the various devices connected to the router and their IP addresses. I got 192.168.0.106. The IP will always be 192.168.y.x where y is the same number as the router has. In the list of devices the TL-WA850RE is listed with the name "Unknown" for whatever reason TPLINK deems fit.

And I agree about the installation instructions. They are really confusing. I have been working with PCs since 1986, with networks since 2002. Why can't companies ever learn how to do this?
Options
2013-06-09 17:17:38

LennartO wrote

...The router is TPLINK TL-WR841N. In the routers admin interface you can see the various devices connected to the router and their IP addresses. I got 192.168.0.106. The IP will always be 192.168.y.x where y is the same number as the router has. In the list of devices the TL-WA850RE is listed with the name "Unknown" for whatever reason TPLINK deems fit....

This is similar to the problem I had. My modem/router (FritzBox 7390) was initially hooking into the device via just it's MAC address without displaying details or IP address, presumably because it was the WA850RE having a different 192.168.yyy.xxx combination. Once I'd gone back into the WA850RE via physical cable link and reset it's static address details to match my network, the router finally picked up the full IP details and I was able to statically assign it in there too.
Options
2013-07-02 17:16:31
Maybe you guys can give a feedback to TP-LINK support at support@tp-link.com
wish they can produce an effective instruction~
Options
2013-07-31 03:18:37
I too upgraded to the latest firmware (130622) and then got redirected to the hijack site mentioned above when I tried to reconnect using http://tplinkextender.net. Even with the LAN cable still connected between my Windows 8 laptop and the RE device and my laptop wireless radio disabled. So I thought I would use the static IP address that I had just set it to, but guess what, the firmware upgrade had removed it. I then looked on my router ARP table and tried both the dynamic IP addresses that were listed there - again no luck. I also tried setting my network adapters to static IP's in the 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 ranges and tried all the factory default IP adresses that are documented elsewhere on this site( 192.168.0.254, 192,168.1.1, and 192.168.1.254).

So I gave up and reset to factory defaults and upgraded to firmware current minus 1 (130313) and struggled through the annoying losing connection bug. Lets hope it is stable now or it will go back to Amazon as I am sick of fighting with this Piece of C**p!

If anyone finds a way to upgrade to 130622 AND still be able to connect using a windows PC I would love to know how.
Options
2014-04-26 03:34:44
April 2014 and the dodgy weblink is still there. What is the matter with this company? Don't they care. Will never buy from them again.

Just locked myself out of the device again after doing a firmware update. About to follow my instructions from the first two parts of this post.
Options
2014-04-26 07:03:09
So, to be clear, only type tplinkextender.net into a browser when you have the device directly linked with a network cable to a computer (unplug the existing network cable and ensure no other internet connection exists), turning off the computer's wifi link if it has one while you configure the device. NB - default username/password = admin/admin

Only when disconnected from the live internet does the URL link work and get you into the device where you can run through the configuration wizard. Using the link when connected to the internet gets you to a dodgy page that does nothing to help you configure the device.

When the wizard is complete, the device will hopefully have picked it's IP address from your modem (via the WiFi connection it made) and then you should go on to configure some of the other details manually like change username and password away from the defaults of admin/admin
Options
Grrrr
2014-05-08 09:07:26

LennartO wrote

And I agree about the installation instructions. They are really confusing. I have been working with PCs since 1986, with networks since 2002. Why can't companies ever learn how to do this?

THIS ^^^
I'm no novice either, and I feel like I've spent more time trying to set this up than it took for the thing to get here from Amazon. I'm about to send it back because it's only served as an extremely frustrating outlet-filler without function.

You'd think after all these years companies would make stuff REALLY idiot-proof so at least people with a clue could get it set up! TPLINKEXTENDER.NET DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED! (yes I am shouting because I've had it with this hassle!)
Options
Solution
2015-05-07 21:23:25
Hello Everyone.

Here is the way, I fixed the problem with the tplinkextender.net page

Connect the extender with cable to your PC.
Connect to it. Wait until the lights are on.
Type your router ip (192.168.1.254 mine was).
My router showed straight away all the devices connected to the router. (BT Home Hub 5)
Find the name of the extender and it's IP (mine was for example 192.168.1.97 and name RE-200 which is model number).
Fill the IP of the found device into the browser's address bar.
And you are on the right page.

Interesting thing, that i tried to connect to tplinkextender.net from two different OS (Kali Linux and Windows 8.1) and they both give the same ugly ad page.
This means that the problem is inside the extender. They way to fix this, is probably to connect via IP and update firmware.

Good Luck!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4805

Replies: 12

Related Articles