Beware! 5G network shows as Open while router has security enabled.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-02-07 23:28:05
Region : Canada

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have been running Archer C7 for a couple of months now. Overall, the performance is good apart from various issues with 5G, as many reported here. What I saw today however, scared me quite a bit and I am going to get rid of this router tonight.

I was reconnecting manually to my home wi-fi and noticed that my 5G network shows up as Open. I've deleted security key from the device I was connecting with and tried to connect hoping my device is wrong. I've connected without a glitch and was able to see my home shares right away.

I went back to the router and check setting, thinking my be I messed them up at some point. Router config showed that security was fully enabled. I have rebooted the router and security was back on. Well, no WPS shows as an option while on router is disabled.

Check your networks, see if it shows Open in your case. I typically don't - once configured the devices I have connect automatically and if 5G is not available they fall back to 2.4G. So, I never see this issue. It is just happened that I had to manually look for it.

It is a major issue and no one can afford to take chances here and look for fixes. If it happened once, it may happen again. The router goes to recycle bin today.

Check yours
Options
2 Reply
Re:Beware! 5G network shows as Open while router has security enabled.
2014-02-08 14:35:23
it's no problem.
may be u should have to update to the last firmware.
if 5G is not available they fall back to 2.4G. =>I don't understand if you don't connected manually,how does device select wifi from 5GHz to 2.4GHz?
Options
Re:Beware! 5G network shows as Open while router has security enabled.
2014-02-08 23:39:27

dawnman wrote

it's no problem.
may be u should have to update to the last firmware.
if 5G is not available they fall back to 2.4G. =>I don't understand if you don't connected manually,how does device select wifi from 5GHz to 2.4GHz?

In the properties of the network (name SSID) Windows has such settings.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 352

Replies: 2

Related Articles