TL-WR710N - No Internet access in repeater or client mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-03-28 21:12:36
Region : United Kingdom

Model : TL-WR710N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

Hi there,

I have configured the TL-WR710N to be a Repeater and rebooted the device. It sees my wireless router and accepts the login details. Once I move away from the main wireless router so that my phone/laptop pick up the signal from the TL-WR710N I can see a good reception from the device (and it gives the same SSID and password as my BT router) and can connect to it, but cannot connect to the internet. I have tried replacing the device with a new one, but the problem persists. Could this be some sort of conflict with my BT wireless router?

I have BT Infinity with a BT HomeHub 4.

It is worth noting that when I tried setting the device up in Client mode and connecting it to the ethernet port of a laptop (with wireless disabled) about six feet away from my BT HomeHub, I didn't get internet access on that either. Internet works perfectly well when connecting via my BT HomeHub.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR710N - No Internet access in repeater or client mode
2014-04-03 09:14:38
When you connect to the 710,did you get IP address from the main router?can you ping the BT HUB4?
Options
2014-05-21 22:56:07

capture master wrote

When you connect to the 710,did you get IP address from the main router?can you ping the BT HUB4?

Hi,

I have the same problem. When using the client mode, the TP-Link doesn't allow me to go on internet. The connection to my Wifi is ok.

I configure it to use a Smart IP, so my DHCP server (on a WRT54G) can continue acting as the DHCP server. But actually, even with the smart IP, the TP-Link is still using the static IP (that I can't remove) and my laptop didn't get any IP address from the DHCP. It seems that the TPLINK is still acting as a router with its own network without the possibility to route to the gateway.

Tests done, laptop connected on the ethernet port of the TPLINK, TPLINK in smartIP and DHCP disable.
1. Laptop in DHCP ==> no address is given by a DHCP server (should be the WRT) ..
2. Laptop in static IP, in the range of the WRT network (192.168.1.x), with DNS and Gateway, also as static. Unable to ping the gateway (192.168.1.1), unable to access internet
3. Laptop in static IP, in the range of the TP-Link (192.168.0.x). I can ping the TP-Link, but that's all. No Internet, No ping to the gateway.

It seems that the TP-Link is not able to act as a DHCP relay and like "a switch". I only tries the Client Mode which is the one I need.

Any ideas
Thanks
Options
2014-05-21 23:05:23

capture master wrote

Firmware : 3.14.9 Build 130419 Rel.58371n
Hardware : WR710N v1 00000000

Hi,

I have the same problem. When using the client mode, the TP-Link doesn't allow me to go on internet. The connection to my Wifi is ok.

I configure it to use a Smart IP, so my DHCP server (on a WRT54G) can continue acting as the DHCP server. But actually, even with the smart IP, the TP-Link is still using the static IP (that I can't remove) and my laptop didn't get any IP address from the DHCP. It seems that the TPLINK is still acting as a router with its own network without the possibility to route to the gateway.

Tests done, laptop connected on the ethernet port of the TPLINK, TPLINK in smartIP and DHCP disable.
1. Laptop in DHCP ==> no address is given by a DHCP server (should be the WRT) ..
2. Laptop in static IP, in the range of the WRT network (192.168.1.x), with DNS and Gateway, also as static. Unable to ping the gateway (192.168.1.1), unable to access internet
3. Laptop in static IP, in the range of the TP-Link (192.168.0.x). I can ping the TP-Link, but that's all. No Internet, No ping to the gateway.

It seems that the TP-Link is not able to act as a DHCP relay and like "a switch". I only tries the Client Mode which is the one I need.

Any ideas
Thanks
Options
2014-06-06 01:16:18
Up !

Someone to help please ...
Options
Is there a solution to this reported issue, "TL-WR710N - no Internet access in repeater or client mode
2015-10-05 20:43:30
Dear Moderator,

I recently purchased a TL-WR710N (UK) ver 1.1. To-date I have not been able to connect anything to my BT wifi at home when using this TL-WR710 in Client mode. Wifi and internet access works fine without going through the TL-WR710N. I've also upgraded the firmware. I'm using a BT Home Hub 4 unlimited broadband service.

Is there a solution? Can tech support at TP-Link provide the solution?

Thanks!
Ho
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4334

Replies: 5