Wi-Fi connection problem with TP-Link TL-WR841N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-06 02:16:24
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V8

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I have a strange and problematic wifi connection issue:
My TP-Link is wired to my wi-fi box provider.
I only have a notebook (Lenovo) and my smartphone at home.

Internet works perfectly when:
1. When I am connected with Wire between my notebook and my TP-Link router.
2. When I use wifi of my notebook to any other wifi connection (example: in an internet café)
3. When I use wifi between my smartphone and my TP-Link router.

But I have No internet access when I try to use wifi of my notebook to my TP-Link router.
When I try to do so, my notebook sees my TP-Link wifi, when I ask to connect, he does so, the password is well accepted, but then, it is written "Limited", and there are no connection at all to internet.
On Windows 8, it was working normally, and since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (2 months ago), it's over. Excpet that, all works perfectly normally.

What can be the problem?
Options
14 Reply
You are not alone
2014-08-21 20:01:56
I have the same problem.
Options
Re:Wi-Fi connection problem with TP-Link TL-WR841N
2014-08-21 21:06:41
Can you see SSID from TP-link? Some information after connect?
Options
i have the same problem
2014-08-22 11:32:20
I have apparently the same problem, my devices connect to the router, but only some of them get internet access, in this case only one cellphone and one laptop get internet access, the tablet, the other laptop and the other 2 cellphones dont have internet, even when they are conneced to the router, i can access the congif page on all the devices but i only get internet in 2 of them
Options
2014-08-22 12:10:04
I'm only getting half of my direct-to-modem speeds when I'm connected to wifi with my WR841N right now. Time Warner has come out twice to check, seems like the router is the problem right now. :( Any solutions?
Options
2014-08-22 14:42:14

jimasek wrote

Can you see SSID from TP-link? Some information after connect?

I did not test it thoroughly, but ... Router works well. Phones, laptops, all have stable connection. But if I join a new Yoga 2 with Windows 8.1, the connection freezes. You can see SSID, but no one can connect. After restart of the router everything works fine up until I try to connect with the new Yoga.
Options
A solution
2014-08-22 21:41:29
This is a Windows 8.1 driver problem (typical Microsoft). The solution I got to work is as follows:

1. Download these drivers from Lenovo then double click on the file - this will extract the drivers to a folder - remember where this is!
2. Go to Device Manager (click the start button and type Device Manager then click on the link) and then click the arrow next to Network Adapters
3. Right click on Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter then click uninstall
4. Tick the box that says delete the driver software then OK
5. In Device Manager, click on "Action" then scan for harware changes
6. It will now discover your Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter again
7. Right click on Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter again then click on update driver software
8. Click browse my computer and go to the folder you extracted to in part 1 then go to \WLAN Driver (Liteon\Atheros, CyberTan\Broadcom)\Broadcom\5.100.82.139\Driver\Win7 then click next
9. Make sure show compatible hardware is ticked and click on the driver and then next
10. Hopefully job done!!!

If this sequence doesn't work then let me know as it has been a while since I fixed mine. Please note, however, that I will accept no reponsibility for any damage you do to your computer by following these instructions

Hope this helps you,

Bob
Options
2014-08-31 04:20:11
I have a similar problem. I'm on a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.9.

If I plug my computer into the router with an ethernet cord, I have zero problems. If I connect through wifi, both Safari and Firefox stop working. I also see more Outlook and other application errors. But mysteriously, Chrome still works perfectly!

I've tried doing clean installs, fixing proxies, and any other suggested steps, but I haven't been able to figure out the problem. So any help would be appreciated!
Options
same problem
2014-08-31 11:58:27
I have the same issue as some previous posters:

Computer: MacBook Pro
OS version: 10.9

My internet connection works perfectly when I am plugged into the router with ethernet. However, when I unplug and connect with wifi, my connection dies in Safari and Firefox, and the connection is spotty in other apps (Outlook, Messages, and others). However, I still have a flawless connection when I am using Chrome!

I have tried some of the suggested fixes (changing proxy settings, doing clean installs, etc) but I sort of doubt it's a problem with any individual piece of software when it's a (nearly) system-wide issue.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? The issue cropped up all at once overnight--it was working perfectly one night, and it was broken the next day.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Options
2014-09-04 20:22:58
I have the exact same problem with Vista AND Windows 7 systems. This is a router problem!! The firwmare is buggy and TP-Link need to fix this!!
Options
2014-09-13 09:33:39
I have the same router and I don't seem to have any issues with a plethora of different devices.

What setup do you have setup?

What type of security? wireless settings? Advanced wireless settings?

Post it up and let's take a look.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6791

Replies: 14

Related Articles