How to "safe" bootloader

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to "safe" bootloader

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
How to "safe" bootloader
How to "safe" bootloader
2014-04-23 03:15:57
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V8

Firmware Version : lastest

ISP :

Hi, I want to experiment with dd-wrt/openwrt. I have serial console working but I am not sure if I do wrong update or update failed is the bootloader always on place to recover the router or I can erase it while update.
How can I erase or damage bootloader ?
What is going to happened if I update firmware which contains a new bootloader, cut the new bootloader and flash only image without new bootloader or if downgrade and delete older bootloader from older firmware ?

Which is the best build for my router with dd-wrt ?
Router is v8.4 with the lastest firmware.

THANKS !
Options
8 Reply
Re:How to "safe" bootloader
2014-04-23 04:04:25
OK, you are right but dd-wrt forum is dead -. nobody answer. Do you know more about how to safe bootloader ?
Options
2014-04-23 22:40:44
In atheros based device section:
here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259668&start=45 post 11 and 15
here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=161581&start=270 the lastest post
AND some PM to LOM from dd-wrt forum, checho again from dd-wrt forum but not respond.

how to safe bootloader - I have not been clear sorry. I mean if I update the official firmware or dd-wrt/openwrt is my U-Boot safe and works anytime when I brick and try to flash the correct firmware ? How I can damage the bootloader if not use the wrong erase commands ?
Options
2014-04-24 02:36:40
Sorry I do not understand. I am not roypaun user
Options
2014-04-24 22:42:09
Nevermind. So the question was: How to not damage the bootloader with firmware update of dd-wrt or tp-link firmware?
Options
2014-04-25 03:13:19
1.Router is not bricked. It works.
Mine has the same bootloader version as in dd-wrt forum.
Did you mean chinese version as 2 ver of this router ?
I have the serial console as some warranty what if I brick it I will unbrick it. I will flash from WEB interface.
I am afraid if I flash it and then some goes wrong with bootloader what to do ? Is it possible while flash dd-wrt firmware to damage the bootloader or it is every time OK and ready to TFTP flash using serial ? :)
Options
2014-04-25 04:16:56
I know my version, what firmware to flash, what is dd-wrt, bootloader, tftp and other things. I only do not know if the wrong firmware can delete the bootloader from Flash chip and this is what I am afraid of.
Options
2014-04-25 04:39:09
Thanks for your time and patience !
you are right I have serial working. DD-wrt does not change anything to bootloader partition so flash dd-wrt is not dangerous for U-boot start up properly ?
Options
2014-04-25 14:41:37
Router and sometimes client
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2618

Replies: 8

Related Articles