Low signal with TL-WDN4800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-28 05:52:50
Region : Greece

Model : TL-WDN4800

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello. I recently got a new desktop, and included the tl-wdn4800. For some reason though, its signal is really low. It gets 1 to 3 lines (usually 2), while even my ancient laptop with a lousy cheap and old netgear usb adaptor is at 4-5 lines (my other laptop wich has an internal adaptor is consistantly at 5 lines).
Updating the drivers from the cd of course did not help, so I looked around, saw that people in this forum suggest the Atheros driver 10.0.0.263, so I tried that too, and... nothing. It goes to 4 lines for maybe 5 minutes after the installation of the atheros drivers, and then back to where it started.

I'm really not that far away from my router, it's in the next room, maybe 5 meters and one wall away? Besides two laptops get a really good signal from the same room and their adaptors are weaker and older. It makes no sense, please advise.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, if it makes any difference.

(Btw: I do not expect to be getting the maximum of speed advertised, as my router doesn't support it anyway. I'm just baffled that the signal is so low in comparison to older, cheaper, weaker adaptors)
Options
9 Reply
Re:Low signal with TL-WDN4800
2014-04-28 23:34:54
Hi,

Which router model are you using?
Which band (2.5 or 5GHz)?
Did you to remove/exchange the antennas?
Options
2014-05-02 00:59:38
Hi, thanks for the reply... I have an old, non- tp link router (Baudtec TW263R4-A2).
As far as I can tell, it doesn't even support the 5GHz band, so... 2.5GHz band.
Removing the antennas resulted in a complete loss of signal (then i moved the computer around, and while it did see my network, it could not connect still).
I tried connecting using my old cheap usb netgear adaptor plugged into my desktop - just to check if it is simply a location thing, and nope, it gave me 3-4 lines consistently.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated...
Options
2014-05-02 03:59:22
It could be interesting to test with an other router to be sure the problem comes from the TP-link card.

If yes, try to turn off the 5GHz (if possible) into the advanced properties of TP-Link card.

May be the card has a malfunction requiring a RMA...
Options
2014-05-02 05:00:06

HiSpeed wrote

It could be interesting to test with an other router to be sure the problem comes from the TP-link card.

If yes, try to turn off the 5GHz (if possible) into the advanced properties of TP-Link card.

May be the card has a malfunction requiring a RMA...

Okay now you lost me (I am kind of clueless :P ) What's an RMA? Is it something I can do?
I will try to find another router to test (though again, two older, cheaper, lousier cards seem to work fine with it), but I'm afraid I have no idea how to turn off the 5GHz.
All I see in the advanced properties, is this... http://prntscr.com/3f9dtw - don't know what you make of it...
Options
2014-05-02 17:22:17
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization

Is it the advanced properties from the Atheros 10.0.0.263 driver?
Options
2014-05-02 19:45:05
Hi, it is the advanced properties of the device (it is how it appears on my device manager), the driver is the Atheros 10.0.0.263 yes.
Options
2014-05-02 22:06:14
OK, bad luck...

To prove the TP-Link card is defective, the simplest solution is to test with another recent router...
Options
2014-05-03 03:53:41
Ah, so I hit the jackpot :(
Thank you so much for your help.
Options
I got the same issue
2015-04-28 17:10:18

vagabonde wrote

Ah, so I hit the jackpot :(
Thank you so much for your help.

vagabonde, I have the EXACT same issue as you, and I mean everything (laptop, and USB adapter have almost full bars, I also installed the Atheros driver...) and then I contacted Amazon and got a full refund from them. I wasn't sure which card to order now, beacuse I was afraid that the problem will persist. So I did a google search and found this forum.
My question for you is: did you buy the same card again? If not, what card did you buy?
I created an account just so I could reply, so please, if you see this, respond
I hit the jackpot too :D
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 577

Replies: 9