QoS/Bandwidth Control with cascaded routers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-05-13 21:01:27
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.13 Build 130325 Rel.34960n

ISP : Local

Need help regarding QoS/Bandwidth Limiting:
My setup: DSL Modem (ZTE ZXDSL 831 CII) & WLAN Router (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND)

Issue: Up until now I was connecting the Ethernet cable from the DSL Modem to the WAN Port on the WLAN Router. I would easily utilise the Bandwidth Control feature on the WLAN.

However, I needed to cascade the DSL Modem (which is basically a router in itself with four LAN ports) to the WLAN Router. I followed the guide here http://bit.ly/1me5T8d and successfully cascaded the two routers.

Now the problem I am facing is with Bandwidth Control feature, I modified the old settings on the WLAN Router with IP range that the DSL Modem corresponds to (from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1) and tested out the feature but contrary to my expectation it's not working anymore.

I'm guessing now that since the DSL modem is providing the DHCP service I will have to sort to QoS on that router instead of the WLAN how I used to. Is that it or could I still utilise the WLAN for this function like I used to?

Thanks.
Options
9 Reply
Bump
2014-06-01 03:50:04
Anyone willing to help regarding my problem above?
Options
Re:QoS/Bandwidth Control with cascaded routers?
2014-06-01 19:00:28
Options
2014-06-01 21:28:08
Thanks jimasek, but I am aware of the link you've provided. However, this does not address my query as my issue is with QoS on two cascaded routers.
Options
2014-06-02 01:09:43
I believe since the first router in my cascade is providing DHCP service I will have to manage QoS from there. But the QoS settings are too complicated on my ZTE DSL router. I am attaching a snap of the it's setting page if someone could help me set it up.
File:
image.jpgDownload
Options
2014-06-02 03:07:14
You have to set your TP-link as a main router with NAT and Bandwidth Limiting. ZTE only like a ADSL modem.
Options
2014-06-02 03:32:16

jimasek wrote

You have to set your TP-link as a main router with NAT and Bandwidth Limiting. ZTE only like a ADSL modem.

But I have to connect a PC to the DSL modem via cable and to access files across devices connected to TP-Link router which I am using as a switch by shutting its DHCP off and appending its address by 192.168.1.2. So its on the same network and passing the DHCP from the DSL router straight through.

I could connect the desktop to the TP-Link then all of my devices will he on the same network and I'll turn on the DHCP back on it but the problem is bulky and heavy Ethernet cable, right.now there is just one cable going up from the DSL modem to the router, if I connect the desktop to TP-Link I'll have to take another cable up to connect.

However, could I alternatively leave the setup as it is turn the DHCP back on on the TP-Link and have it provide DHCP to the Desktop connected to the DSL modem (where I'll turn off the DHCP)? Is that possible? And then I could just use TP-Link's QoS to control bandwidth for all the devices on the network, even the desktop connected to the DSL modem?

The main objective:

The only reason I changed the TP-Link from router mode to switch was because I could not access files across the devices since the two routers had created two networks. By making.the TP-Link work as a switch by using the method in my question post I was able to share files across the single network but at the cost of QoS on TP-Link not working anymore.
Options
2014-06-02 05:22:15
TP-link without WAN connection doesn't support Bandwidth Limiting.
Options
2014-06-02 05:31:43

jimasek wrote

TP-link without WAN connection doesn't support Bandwidth Limiting.

Thanks for letting me know this jimasek. So could I seek help regarding an alternate method to achieve my purpose or perhaps if I can get help setting up QoS on my ZTE modem as per the settings capture I have attached above. Its beyond my knowledge.
Options
2014-06-03 02:06:16
QoS on ZTE isn't very good. I gave you my proposition in earlier post. .
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1193

Replies: 9

Related Articles